Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 17-10-2007 , 06:48 AM
Subscriber

My first model

I know you all have probably seen this model a thousand times allready but since it is my first model I thought I would show my progress on Kurt's basic human form Tut. I am not using the side image plane and im also only using the hand sketch. I wanted to try and get a feel for what it would be like to model sort of free hand. I know he still needs a lot of work but I think hes coming along nicely user added image

Edit:
Well I have tried JPEG GIF and PNG to upload the image and they all look like crap, anyone have any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by nweaver; 17-10-2007 at 06:53 AM.
# 2 17-10-2007 , 07:17 AM
Kurt's Basic Human Form tutorial is a great tutorial to learn from. Yours is looking pretty good so far.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 3 17-10-2007 , 07:24 AM
The model is looking good.

As for your rendering question... What resolution are you rendering at?

jpeg is usually just fine. I typically render to targa then bring that into ps and save for web application and convert to jpeg high quality either 800x600 or 640x480.

For render settings, since you are just starting out, use maya software, production quality.

In the camera attributes select environment to set you background color to something other then black (which it appears you have already figured out).

Renders tend to look better if they are standing on something rather then floating in space so pop a nurbs plane in as ground.

For lights a simply three light setup works fine for basic renders. Put a main directional light to the side and up high (45-70 degrees), intensity .7-1.0 and check the cast shadows box.

Put a fill light (another directional is fine) down lown and pointingup at about the same angle as the main light, shadows box unchecked and about .4 to .6 intensity.

Put a backlight in (you can use another directional light), cast shadows unchecked, low intensity (.4-.6).

Then just do some fast ipr renders in the shaded areas and adjust the fill and backlight intensities, the environment brightness and the model shader colors to get the best picture.

Last edited by ctbram; 17-10-2007 at 07:28 AM.
# 4 19-10-2007 , 10:27 PM
Subscriber
Just thought I would post an update, been working on frank off and on and I just cant seem to get happy with him. Obviouslly this is my first model and I am doing it freehand at this point so I dont expect perfection but the mouth looks really weird and I cant get the nose right. Anyone have any suggestions? The mesh is a mess now, I dont know what I did but when I converted from poly's to sub D's it got all fubared so im working with what I got so so far

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 19-10-2007 , 10:30 PM
Subscriber
side

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 19-10-2007 , 10:31 PM
Subscriber
pers

Attached Thumbnails