Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 31 24-06-2008 , 08:19 AM
Lifetime Member
Joopson you can't compare breeding cows for meat and owning a monkey.
You say it's parents are most likely already dead and this is true but if there is no Market for the trade in monkeys then perhaps the next monkey and it's parents might live.
An example of a chimp for instance is that within 5-7 years of age it will be 3 times stronger than a human but with a mind of a 3 year old and if it decides it no longer likes to do as it's told then there is very little you can do about it.
Monkeys that are kept singularly very often more than not suffer from some sort of mental problems because they are simply not meant to be a lone animal and when you decide you have had enough of it's tantrums and misbehaviour (if you are lucky it won't get mean and injure someone), it still has maybe two thirds of it's life left but then has to face rehabitation to get it used to living with other monkeys ect but the pshycological scars never really go away.
Imagine it this way, you are taken as a 3 month old baby and raised with wolves or lets say Apes in the jungle, by the time you are 10 years old you are on your own to fend for yourself and at this time you are found and taken to civilization. You get the drift of what problems you will face and how that might effect the remainder of your life.
Sorry to rant a bit but owning a monkey is simply no different than the slave trade of the 1800's.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner

Last edited by jsprogg; 24-06-2008 at 08:31 AM.
# 32 24-06-2008 , 09:17 AM
Acid44
it's all good man opinions are always appreciated and now that you've said all that im actually reconsidering it a bituser added image

# 33 24-06-2008 , 09:59 AM
Hey Acid,

Personally I think its a bad Idea, John hit it on the the head. As for giving it a large area to do what it wants, you own a park, that's fenced off so it dosent run away? get run over? maybe stolen?? or would you put in on a lead?? That sorta defeats the point.

I actually worked with a guy who's family had a monkey as a pet (it was in the 60's, different times, not that I'm that old, LOL) and it used to p**s and s**t all over as well as wreck things, they had to get rid eventually when it got older as it became completly uncontrolable.

If you do get one and then cant cope and give it to a zoo, just think how much thats gonna screw with the poor blighters head, your in a jungle, where you should be, cought, put in a cage, bought by someone, live in a house for a bit, not understanding rules and why you cant do what you want, then put back into a cage and taken to another bigger cage for the rest of your life.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 34 24-06-2008 , 11:20 AM

Originally posted by Joopson
thats why i don't understand vegetarians. They are already killing the cows, why not make use of it?

You know, plants are living things too! So brutally picking them out of the ground is... *gasp* killing!

Personally, I am an omnivore, cause humans were meant to eat both meat and leaves.

Anyways, to justify the owning of monkeys, the key is to have a large area that resembles their natural habitat and has plenty of monkeys in it. That way it is no more cruel than a zoo (notice that people have no problems with zoos but they do with a cage - its the same thing - imprisonment!). To lend some more weight to owning a monkey, since some of the species may go extinct in the future, having a "colony" of them in your own private forest will probably do some good. Now, where to find the money???

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 35 24-06-2008 , 04:23 PM
But where does the sword training, and "after work" battle tactics begin?

hehe....

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 36 24-06-2008 , 08:08 PM
Senior Software Developer
Just leave it offending post it notes around the house..

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 37 27-06-2008 , 07:45 AM
Subscriber
If you want a monkey just adopt a child

its technically the same thing to a certain point, and you can train the child better

although you can't give it to a zoo if you decide to no longer want it.... (although you could do equivalent.... or just abandon the child... again)

# 38 27-06-2008 , 01:07 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
@ the archatect, plsntd dont hsve feelings or emotions or nerves
you shouldnt get a monkey, youll live to regreat it

# 39 28-06-2008 , 04:01 AM

Originally posted by elephantinc
@ the archatect, plsntd dont hsve feelings or emotions or nerves
you shouldnt get a monkey, youll live to regreat it

But plants are living, which is the point. Don't people usually feel a bit sad when some 500+ year old tree that has survived countless storms, fires and people suddenly gets bulldozed or something?

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 40 28-06-2008 , 06:41 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
They just think its a shame, they dont exactly feel sorry for it........

anyway, getting back on topic.....

# 41 28-06-2008 , 06:59 AM
Subscriber
if you can't afford a child as a monkey then build a robot monkey, surely you know some engineers and ai programmers...

# 42 29-06-2008 , 11:54 AM
Subscriber
just model it in maya. animate it. place the animation on re-run and project it onto your walls :p no hassel in cleaning all the time, and if you dont like it anymore, then yeah ...

'dont ask where that idea came from' haha user added image

# 43 07-07-2008 , 09:04 AM
Subscriber
I know it's been a week since anybody has posted a reply and I just wanted to know if you have gotten the monkey yet. I also, read that you were thinking about reconsidering. Don't reconsider. We only live for so long and there are things that we all live to regret. Like the time you walk down the road, see a beautiful girl and just want to sweep her off her feet or dazzle her with your charm, but you don't for whatever reason and then you live to regret it. You know we all live to regret the things that we didn't do because it might have been dificult at the time or we really couldn't afford it. After I got out of College I went to China to teach for a year, I didn't have to, I had some job offers and I could have started right out after school, but I knew I would have regretted not doing it. If you don't buy this monkey, someday you will look back and see that you had lost the chance to own a monkey. Just Do It. Don't listen to these naysayers, go with your gut. And in closing when you do buy your monkey you gotta post some pictures.

# 44 07-07-2008 , 10:10 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
roknor has probably never had a monkey
can you rent one to see if you like it?

# 45 07-07-2008 , 10:17 AM

Originally posted by Roknor
I know it's been a week since anybody has posted a reply and I just wanted to know if you have gotten the monkey yet. I also, read that you were thinking about reconsidering. Don't reconsider. We only live for so long and there are things that we all live to regret. Like the time you walk down the road, see a beautiful girl and just want to sweep her off her feet or dazzle her with your charm, but you don't for whatever reason and then you live to regret it. You know we all live to regret the things that we didn't do because it might have been dificult at the time or we really couldn't afford it. After I got out of College I went to China to teach for a year, I didn't have to, I had some job offers and I could have started right out after school, but I knew I would have regretted not doing it. If you don't buy this monkey, someday you will look back and see that you had lost the chance to own a monkey. Just Do It. Don't listen to these naysayers, go with your gut. And in closing when you do buy your monkey you gotta post some pictures.

did you even read the reasons that people gave for not getting a monkey? doing somnething cos you might live to regret not doing it, is stupid. you could equally end up regretting getting a monkey. it's not the same as chatting up a girl or studying in china, cos you're talking about a living creature that you will have to care for, for the rest of your life. try thinking about something other than just yourself.