Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 26-03-2011 , 09:41 PM

basic rigging

hi,

i want to rig this very simple model in order to visualise and 'test' the validity of the hydraulic arm it represents. (hopefully the pic will show enough to allow viewers to grasp the required range of movement)
I've started looking into joints/bones, ik handles, controllers... but could do with a heads up on what i need as I don't have days to sit and tear my hair out over it.

it doesn't need to be accurate in any engineering sense, it's not being animated, nor used be anyone else. it's only use is as a reference for 2D artwork - I want to be sure that I've got the various lengths roughly right so as to be consistent in various positions; it seems as good a reason as any to dabble in another area of Maya, and I assume it will be less of a headache in the long run than moving every element individually.
In particular, getting the pistons to slide and to have realistic limits is both important and a little daunting. It's important for me so I can judge if I need to make a particular element longer or shorter to get the range of movement I need.

here's hoping this is the kind of problem easily solved by the wonders of 3D user added image

Last edited by se7enhedd; 06-04-2012 at 10:18 AM.