Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 05-01-2004 , 12:19 AM

Jan/Feb - NightPhantom - Noob

Ok, I think I'm in user added image. It's time already!!! I've never participated in a challenge before, but I've been doing stuff on my own very quietly and I think I might actually have somewhat of a chance.
My fighter is going to be a robot. Now, I am attaching a concept drawing, but keep in mind that I really really suck at drawing (and plus a used a mouse and not a pen). I am so very embaraced of posting this picture user added image..... please be nice about it. Later on I think I should edit this post to include a picture of the model instead, because I'm sure anyone that opens this page and looks at that picture won't bother to look any further user added image....
But anyway, this is MCD-104, a high-tech killing machine user added image I was thinking it should have modular hands to be able to either wield a weapon or have hands to grab the opponent. The extra set of lower arms is there because MCD has no legs, so I guess it can use those intead of kicking. It could be for the lower attacks too. Most of the time those 2 arms should be folder under the chest though. So they can come out for the kill.
Also, it's supose to be very tall and very skinny, it should look long. So that most of it's mass is in the chest (which contains his arsenal) and his head. That's why I chose to give him wheels instead of legs, because the skinny legs probably wouldn't have been very useful for kicking.
The face plate will be very simplistic, with 2 vertical cuts for the eyes and 1 horizontal for the mouth. On the side of the heads there will be 2 semi-spheres, which would represent a radar or something to give him a better perception of his surroudings since his eyes are so tiny.
But well... I'll probably post my work in progress some time this week. (I don't need more concepts, do I? user added image, it's already embarasing enough to have to do one image)

Attached Images

There can not be Good without Evil, so then it must be good to be Evil sometimes.

:tup:
# 2 10-01-2004 , 01:24 AM
Subscriber
Hey i like this idea, and don't worry about you're concept drawing, it doesn't have to be GOOD but it does still help alot and i'm glad the SM people are trying to get us in the habit of it. I think you're idea about the head is great, make the metal work very simple
, and you can save alot of time modeling, and spend it all texturing. Maybe think about using some reflection, but very dirty reflection(only patches of it)

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2

Last edited by Vectorman; 10-01-2004 at 01:28 AM.
# 3 26-01-2004 , 06:14 AM

I finaly got started

Ok, so I have been busy, sue me :p

But now I'm going to get this thing done. Well, I am going to be working on it on weekends at least.

This is what I did today. It's the face plate that will be covering the actual face. Underneath that mask there will be a speaker where the mouth goes and camera lenses in the eye holes.
The green things are suposed to be covering different sensors in the head (which are nesesary because his eyes will be very rudimentary). Of course I won't be modeling that part because it's never visible :p
Oh, yeah, I'm using NURBS. And for this image I used GIJoe and Mental Ray.

Attached Thumbnails

There can not be Good without Evil, so then it must be good to be Evil sometimes.

# 4 26-01-2004 , 06:35 AM
The Maya Mountain
Looking forward to it. user added image

# 5 28-01-2004 , 06:22 PM
wish i could help but ive never used nurbs(besides a few mels i have).

It looks like your concept so far so i guess your on track.

# 6 27-02-2004 , 05:34 AM

I'm still alive

I bet you thought I had given up the challenge :p
Well, I waited too long to get started, so in the end I probably won't be able to animate it, but I think I will be able to at least model it and pose it.
Here's what I've been doing the past couple of days, I have the wholte character in pieces for the moment, the next thing to do is the neck and legs, that's when I'm going to put all the pieces together in one scene and then try to rig it.
The arm:

Attached Images

# 7 27-02-2004 , 05:36 AM

the chest

chest:

Attached Images

# 8 27-02-2004 , 05:37 AM

the mouth

a speaker, this will be the mouth behind the faceplate:

Attached Images

# 9 27-02-2004 , 05:39 AM

the foot

this wheel will be MCD's only foot:

Attached Thumbnails

# 10 27-02-2004 , 05:44 AM

the eye

and finally the eye can be seen here

# 11 27-02-2004 , 06:14 AM
The Maya Mountain
Cool, keep it up!

# 12 28-02-2004 , 09:55 AM
and here it is put all together. Now I have to rig it for posing, but I have a test and a presentation this monday so I probably won't do anything else for this guy. But that depends on what happens tomorrow (you see... I haven't riged a character before, so I have to fin out how first :p ).
Anyway,

Attached Thumbnails

# 13 29-02-2004 , 04:25 AM
Subscriber
maybe you could add a little bulk in the arms and around the center of him.

# 14 29-02-2004 , 05:50 AM
Well, I wanted him to have most of its weight in the chest and head and have long thin arms. The hands look too small in that picture, but I think that's a thing with the angle of the camera or something because it looks better when I move the camera around. But if you think I should make the arms thicker then I will, except I won't be able to do it before tomorrow night user added image so I'll do that (and the animation) outside the challenge later on.
Right now for the challenge I'll just post that same model in a simple pose (I just leaned how to and rigged it today :p ). Well, for that picture go to that post where we submit final entries.