Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 19-07-2011 , 06:24 PM

Attaching/Painting 3D/2D Texture bump maps to Layered Textures

I'm in the process of creating an original extrasolar earth where I'm using a layered texture to provide various different kinds of terrain (grassland, deserts, mountain ranges, etc). I'm at the point where I like the texture placements that I got, but I want to create a more 3D surface for the mountain ranges and also give the illusion of bumps and valleys in the grass areas by attaching a 2D/3D Bump Texture (not sure which one is better for this sort of thing) or by paining a bump texture onto the surface and then modifying from there. That being said, I'm not sure how to attach a bump texture without making the whole lambert bumpy whereas I just want selected areas. Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks!

~Hunt

# 2 19-07-2011 , 07:14 PM
The thin red line
Could you show use what you have got so far and have you UV it.......dave

# 3 19-07-2011 , 07:38 PM
"Extrasolar Earth" has a url link in it as to what the planet looks like rendered out, but heres a picture
regardless.
user added image

And what to you mean by UV it?

Other notes: I'm currently using Maya 2008.

Last edited by huntaer; 19-07-2011 at 07:41 PM.
# 4 19-07-2011 , 10:27 PM
The thin red line
Is this made up with a shader network only?..........dave

Edit:UVs are a way of mapping your mesh to receive texture from say photoshop also help with shader bump maps thats why I asked

Last edited by daverave; 19-07-2011 at 10:32 PM.
# 5 20-07-2011 , 01:50 PM
I'm not sure, I would assume that it is a shader network. I only know that all of these textures were made in Maya. First I created two lambert shaders and painted the polar caps and sea on one and then the land masses on another. Then I created a third shader and attached a layered texture on it and plugged the two painted textures into it's alpha channel, which I then proceeded to use white for the polar caps, ocean shader on another layer and then I used a combination of Stucco, Mountain and Rock textures. Does this count as a network?

# 6 20-07-2011 , 03:47 PM
Super Moderator
Yes you're using a shader network, it doesn't matter if you're using a texture you painted or the Maya checkered texture, a connection of nodes for the purpose of controlling the look of a surface or light is a shading network. Is your shader network procedural? Meaning generated from algorithms rather than manual input then no it is not, since you've painted the polar caps and such.

As to the original question, if I understand it correctly, you can use the color map for the land masses as a guide to assembling the bump map. But definitely look into UV mapping, the help files give you some pretty good info.

- Genny
# 7 20-07-2011 , 05:57 PM
I'll check it out. I also just realized I could possibly use Normal mapping to help make the textures appear more bumpy. Thanks!