Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 11-03-2004 , 11:16 PM

Stairs

Is there a reletivly easy way to make stairs in maya 5? I thinkt he way im doing it is more dificult than it needs to be.

# 2 11-03-2004 , 11:23 PM
Subscriber
it depends on what style stairs you are making!
if they are straight up I would create 1 then duplicate it with transform.user added image

Never Do Today What You Can Put Off Till Tomorrow..
My New Site MayaFx.com
# 3 12-03-2004 , 11:12 PM
Just any stairs you can think of. Starting to get annoying.

# 4 13-03-2004 , 01:58 AM
Subscriber
1) create poly cube.
2) Scale X: 4
3) Edit>Duplicate>OptionsBox
4) Check "Smart Transform" then click "duplicate"
5) snap (hold down x) new cube to Translate Y and Z to 1.
6) WITHOUT clicking anything else, press Ctrl d and a third cube will appear at translate Y and Z at 2. Press Ctrl d again and another cube will appear at translate 3, and so on and so forth for however many steps you want.

This same technique can be used with other types of stairs as well. If you wanted to do a spiral stair case, I would model a step first, then move it far from the grid center, then move the pivot opint to 0,0,0 and do the Smart Transform duplicate I explained above to make all the stairs you need. All you have to do is copy the first step you modeled once, move up a little and rotate it as needed, then Ctrl d it a few times.

Hope this helps.