Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 24-12-2005 , 10:30 AM

Slang

Hey all im new to maya, but i love art and anything to do with it, so this lead me onto 3D design.

I wos wondering if you could explain some basic concepts to me
1) Renderman, i know this is what pixar use as rendering software but i dont understand what purpose it has.
2)CG- does this mean computer graphics?

If any of you can help me out i wont to create a nice looking model with textures, so far all ive done is the 3D dog which looks cool but i really like a challenge + i have no idea how to add textures to or create a UV map for a 3D object, e.g a dog, because all ive watched is that door panel free video.
Ive tried DeathFall but i cant find any working links there + i really wont a full tutorial of a 3D, high detail character, somthing a bit more challeging and something i can sculpt and play with for a long time. If any of u know were to find a full video without paying (christmas has eaten all my £ so i cant afford it), or just gimmi some pointers on that slag would be sweet.

Thanks

Josh

# 2 25-12-2005 , 04:59 PM

Re: Slang

Originally posted by jhubbard
[B]Hey all im new to maya, but i love art and anything to do with it, so this lead me onto 3D design.

I wos wondering if you could explain some basic concepts to me
1) Renderman, i know this is what pixar use as rendering software but i dont understand what purpose it has.
2)CG- does this mean computer graphics?

1. Renderman is a render software developed by Pixar. I don't know specifics about Renderman as i've never used it but like all rendering software it combines all elements of the project, such as textures and lighting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RenderMan

2. I guess CG could mean "computer graphics" but i believe CG is refered to as in "CGI" - "Computer Generated Imagery"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer-generated_imagery

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 3 25-12-2005 , 05:25 PM
Basically Pixar Renderman (PRMan) or Renderman-Compliant renderers imports the shaders, the textures, the models, the particles (etc. etc.) and physically draws the frames.

Maya Software and Mental Ray will probably get good enough effects for you -- so you probably shouldn't need to bother :p Sure you may see some enhancements but honestly what's the point.

Another substitute which is coming around is nVidia's Gelato -- the reason why I mention it is because its designed for QuadroFX+ videocards so it SHOULD do pixar-like effects a LOT quicker (all hardware rendered)