Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 08-02-2006 , 05:39 AM

Okay... anyone else notice this?

From a Cell processor article:

An IBM demo shows the contrast. A terrain rendering program lets you fly over Mount Rainier at 1,300mph. Cell crunches through millions of lines of topographical and photographic data per second to paint topographically accurate, photo-quality pictures at a movie-quality 30 frames per second. On a similar program a Pentium takes more than two minutes to sketch a single frame.

Honestly... what is it with renderers and taking 2 minutes to render something.

Seriously -- like, no more no less. EXACTLY 2-3 minutes. Anyone else notice that? No matter what program you run.

(that's excluding excruciatingly long renders and quick pre-renders.... the average render)

# 2 08-02-2006 , 10:36 AM
cell processors are some sweet stuff though, i dont understand the point yer making but i can imagin cell processors would pull that off.

# 3 08-02-2006 , 08:06 PM

Originally posted by jhubbard
cell processors are some sweet stuff though, i dont understand the point yer making but i can imagin cell processors would pull that off.

Point I'm making has nothing to do with cell processors.

Just one more example where a render takes 2 minutes/frame... I figured everyone else here would know what I was talking about.

# 4 08-02-2006 , 08:18 PM
yeah, I doubt that might be the case, possible more that the cell processor is built to optimize a certain processor type, and to optimize ONLY that processor type.

Just like some programs optimize 32 bit os's while others optimize 64 bit.

This is just more of an extreme case of that.

Live the life you love, love the life you live