Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 01-01-2008 , 12:50 PM

Model Import

I've run into situations where an imported model comes into Maya so large that the grid is nowhere to be seen. This particular file is a 3DS format. With the grid so tiny in the perspective view it makes it almost impossible to mouse manipulate the model in the view area. Why is this and how can I change my settings to something I can better manage. I like the interactive feel of mouse manipulations as opposed to strictly using the numerical entries.

# 2 01-01-2008 , 01:09 PM
It's probably a cm vs m setting. Check what your default settings are and adjust them

You can always group and scale the model once you have it imported.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 01-01-2008 , 02:41 PM
Thanks Alan ... That was exactly it. I mistakenly posted this under the wrong category and didn't expect a reply this soon, and after following your resume links I'm impressed with the credentials behind the advice. Thanks again and good luck in your future endeavors. Mike !