Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 11-05-2009 , 05:13 PM
Head of 3d Admedia

interior lighting

hi all does anyone whats the problem here

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 11-05-2009 , 05:39 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
also how can i light this scene and also the interior do i have to light link

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 11-05-2009 , 07:46 PM
Super Moderator
Well I don't know what the hell is going on in the first image lol, I don't recall ever seeing that before, plus I don't even know how you went about lighting the scene in the first place.

That second image strikes me as odd because it seems you have physical sky enabled yet you have no indirect illumination going on, maybe you turned off FG and for the interior, slap some portal lights over the windows, I'm sure that will help a lot.

- Genny
# 4 12-05-2009 , 02:16 AM
Subscriber
portal lights?? im sure he/she knows what your talking about?? just attach a portal node to an area light and adjust the.., hang on.., i thought portals were for interior lighting coming from exterior?? now im confused??

hope all is well user added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 5 12-05-2009 , 04:48 AM
Super Moderator
Hey mirek, haven't seen you on here in a while, its all good, I should be in bed but its all good lol. And I mentioned portal lights because he was asking about getting the inside illuminated even though its an exterior shot (well that's how I understood it anyways :p)

- Genny
# 6 12-05-2009 , 04:51 AM
Subscriber
cool..user added image hey yea i saw that and realised i made a boo boo there.., but the interior spoke for itself so no point in a repost.., great all is well with you. best to you user added image

err.., back to the post.., sorry murambi

# 7 12-05-2009 , 04:53 AM
Subscriber
looks a bit like he has diagnosis on?? what a werid render?

# 8 12-05-2009 , 09:20 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
started an entire new render and now i get really bright washed out renders
im checking into using portal lights atm but this is the first time i've heard of them

can anyone point me in the direction of tuts for physical sun and sky the documentation in maya seems abit lacking

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by murambi; 12-05-2009 at 09:25 AM.
# 9 12-05-2009 , 11:33 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
abit more of a problem the glass should be tinted black but they are brownish in color please help asap i have till tomorrow to finsh this

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 12-05-2009 , 12:52 PM
The Nurb Herd
its reflecting the environment.

# 11 12-05-2009 , 02:17 PM
Subscriber
if you dont want an object to reflect, turn off refections in the render stats in the AE or turn them down in the AE material editor tab.

the physical sun mimics the time of day.., i forget the name of parameter.., look for time or something in the AE and play wthe the parameters, its a fast render,.., it very easy when you know how.., sorry getting late here, going to bed.

# 12 12-05-2009 , 04:09 PM
Super Moderator
See, thats the thing about the physical sky, it washes out the textures if you don't have gamma correct nodes plugged into them (btw the ground texture seems a bit large, making the building look like a miniature) or maybe changing the gamma on the lens shader will do, personally I prefer the gamma nodes + photographic lens shader.

- Genny
# 13 14-05-2009 , 04:43 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
got abit of an extension cause my renders look like shit
i checked into portal lights but i cant get them to work right
hey genny how would you go about rendering this image cause it has to be an animation so render times are also an issue

Attached Thumbnails
# 14 14-05-2009 , 06:47 PM
Super Moderator
Well, I'd run those file textures through gamma correction nodes, connect the texture to the value, change the gamma to .454 and plug the gamma node to the shader's color. that could help alleviate some of that washed out appearance.
user added image

Portal lights are just Maya area lights that are sized and positioned into your doorways/windows/whatever and they have MR portal lights plugged into them. Tweak away.
user added image

Keep the FG accuracy within reason (personally I don't like going over 400 >.>) and increase the point interpolation, one secondary bounce is good I think, you can probably use that optimize for animation feature as well. An AO pass would be good too.

- Genny
# 15 15-05-2009 , 03:51 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
thanks alot genny ill check into this ill let you know how it works out