Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 17-09-2015 , 07:57 AM

how good is this post apocalyptic scene?

Hello everyone,

I need a criticism of this post apocalyptic scene, if there is anything I need to remove, add or do better... That isn't my final cloud... It's just a default.. .

Thanks in advance... I'm looking forward to your
responses

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 19-09-2015 , 12:06 AM
Super Moderator
If you're going for realism then there is some work to do. I'm sure you know that the level of disarray and destruction needed to realistically portray a believable apocalyptic scene needs a certain amount of detail and that results in some serious memory and scene management. This is a big job, get ready for some crits! user added image Some things I noticed with the scene:

-Modeling. The buildings could use some more detail as currently they seem kind of flat. Details like deteriorated versions of objects often seen in street scenes like traffic and building signs for example. Has it been long enough that there is vegetation overgrowth, trampled trash and grime? There is some rubble but not much else.

-Texturing. Seems like the textures could be a bit higher res and detail. The light poles and a couple of the vehicles look rather clean. The rust on the other two vehicles don't seem organic, if you Google rusted vehicles, streaking patterns are common so is corner or crevice rot. The cracking texture on the left building seemed kind of sprawled over it and seem unnatural.

-Lighting. Not sure of the weather conditions. The soft shadows say "overcast" but the clear blue sky betrays that. So I'm not sure of the direction you'd like to take that.

-Shot framing. It's tempting to cram everything into a shot because you spent time making them but that doesn't always make an interesting image. Check out photography and cinematography tips.

Keep at it and keep posting!

- Genny
# 3 29-09-2015 , 12:14 PM
Subscriber
Still this thread is on, so I put some thoughts also in ;-)

Depending how far you would like to go in your scene following comments:
=> it seems the sizes of the cars dont match with the building size, a normal floor height of a high-rise building has approximate 3.8 to 4.5 m height. If the left building is for example a leftover of an office building the cars seem to big
=> I would reduce the quantity of broken stones / asphalt on the road and add more "normal" garbage instead
=> in a normal case such buildings have company names on it, shops are in the downside, there are entrance areas
=> the structure of the street doesn't look real, a normal walkway in a big city has different areas of paving for example, entrance areas to the park house or backyard parking, posts, the center of the road might had trees (depending what happened in your apocalyptic incident ;-), anyway some "green" or now grey areas with plants or trees
=> street names, posters at the wall, maybe even some newspapers stuck to the walls with the bad news!!!
=> its not really visible if you still have some glass at the facades or in the windows
=> the rusting car is very corroded comparing to the other cars like the police car which seems is still shiny.....

Yes the sky is too blue for the light, try to use overcast weather instead.

Hope you continue to improve your scene. Excited to see the final product.

By the way, what happened in the Apocalypse ???

# 4 04-10-2015 , 02:16 PM

If you're going for realism then there is some work to do. I'm sure you know that the level of disarray and destruction needed to realistically portray a believable apocalyptic scene needs a certain amount of detail and that results in some serious memory and scene management. This is a big job, get ready for some crits! user added image Some things I noticed with the scene:

-Modeling. The buildings could use some more detail as currently they seem kind of flat. Details like deteriorated versions of objects often seen in street scenes like traffic and building signs for example. Has it been long enough that there is vegetation overgrowth, trampled trash and grime? There is some rubble but not much else.

-Texturing. Seems like the textures could be a bit higher res and detail. The light poles and a couple of the vehicles look rather clean. The rust on the other two vehicles don't seem organic, if you Google rusted vehicles, streaking patterns are common so is corner or crevice rot. The cracking texture on the left building seemed kind of sprawled over it and seem unnatural.

-Lighting. Not sure of the weather conditions. The soft shadows say "overcast" but the clear blue sky betrays that. So I'm not sure of the direction you'd like to take that.

-Shot framing. It's tempting to cram everything into a shot because you spent time making them but that doesn't always make an interesting image. Check out photography and cinematography tips.

Keep at it and keep posting!

Oh... Thank you so much for your response Gen... And for your continuous support... I really appreciate and will make those corrections and post the corrected version.. . About the details needed for the post-apocalyptic scene needing chunk of memory space.. .true.. . I feel I'm already maxing my system's memory out... But, I guess those are the prices to pay...

Thanks, cheers

# 5 04-10-2015 , 02:23 PM

Still this thread is on, so I put some thoughts also in ;-)

Depending how far you would like to go in your scene following comments:
=> it seems the sizes of the cars dont match with the building size, a normal floor height of a high-rise building has approximate 3.8 to 4.5 m height. If the left building is for example a leftover of an office building the cars seem to big
=> I would reduce the quantity of broken stones / asphalt on the road and add more "normal" garbage instead
=> in a normal case such buildings have company names on it, shops are in the downside, there are entrance areas
=> the structure of the street doesn't look real, a normal walkway in a big city has different areas of paving for example, entrance areas to the park house or backyard parking, posts, the center of the road might had trees (depending what happened in your apocalyptic incident ;-), anyway some "green" or now grey areas with plants or trees
=> street names, posters at the wall, maybe even some newspapers stuck to the walls with the bad news!!!
=> its not really visible if you still have some glass at the facades or in the windows
=> the rusting car is very corroded comparing to the other cars like the police car which seems is still shiny.....

Yes the sky is too blue for the light, try to use overcast weather instead.

Hope you continue to improve your scene. Excited to see the final product.

By the way, what happened in the Apocalypse ???

Thanks so much for you response, I appreciate and I'm going to make all those corrections... And about what happened, it's going to be a surprise package.. . You'll see... Hehe user added image

Thanks once again...
Cheers

# 6 06-10-2015 , 09:08 AM

Hey guys, thank you for your support thus far, here is the modified post-apocalyptic scene... What do you think?