Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 21-05-2004 , 08:40 PM

Help needed making my motion path movement smoother

I'm animating a camera along a motion path that spans 270 frames. As you can se by the pic attached I have sections where the motion is slowing down.

This works fairly well except for the fact that when the camera reaches one of these points it's seems to almost stop before resuming again with a slower pace.

I wanted the motion to be smooth if you know what I mean. Now it just seems to almost come to a grinding halt and then resume movement. Is there any other way to do this type of animation so that I might be rid of the non-smooth movement?

Attached Thumbnails

//Levi

Last edited by Levi; 22-05-2004 at 01:03 AM.
# 2 27-05-2004 , 03:41 AM
Subscriber
you need to get on that curve editor : )

# 3 27-05-2004 , 09:18 AM
no you dont just push 3 on the keyboard to up the tesselation of the curve.

The problem with the camera "stopping" is the number of keyframes yo have inbetween those points is disproportionate to the rest of the curve. Make the number of keyframes inbetween them smaller.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 4 27-05-2004 , 01:39 PM
I fixed the problem using different amount of frames in two separate renderings. Worked like a charm! user added image

//Levi
# 5 27-05-2004 , 06:13 PM
Subscriber
pushing 3 on the keyboard will only make the curve look smoother, it doesnt have anything to do with how the camera animates across it, and the way you fixed it levi; may have worked but you really should become familiar with the curve editor, its really not that hard to use and would have fixed your problem easily

# 6 29-05-2004 , 02:03 PM
lol yes you do but you didnt explain what you needed to do in the curve editor. The keyframes needed to be more evenly spaced out in that time frame to match the rest of the curve animation.

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 7 29-05-2004 , 07:02 PM
Subscriber
I would suggest finding a good tutorial or maybe looking at the maya documentation. Its fairly straight forward, just messing with it for a bit should give you a rough idea of how it works.