Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 05-11-2004 , 09:41 AM
Subscriber

gift wrap present with bow

hi all
i'm trying to model a gift wrapped present with a ribbon tied in a bow - any ideas as to where i would start with making an object look like its wrapped in paper
cheers, tony

# 2 06-11-2004 , 05:59 AM
Cloth? Because that might work, or just a simple box with very small but smooth edges, and use a bump map to make it seem loose in certain areas.

# 3 06-11-2004 , 08:33 AM
if you dont *need* it to animate into being open: take a sheet of paper fold it on various ways but dont allow it to go too flat, scan it (again dont squash it with the scannerĀ“s cap but put another sheet over it) cut n paste the resulting grayscale image and photoshop adjust it into being your bumpmap for a simple cube

make the ribbon with curves and extrudes

uh... just for fun a ctulhian tentacle going out from the bottom of the box is always a nice touch user added image

Last edited by dragonfx; 06-11-2004 at 08:37 AM.
# 4 08-11-2004 , 05:42 AM
I am working on a model that has a box wrapped in cloth. I tried using Maya cloth, but to this point have not been able to figure out how to "fold" the cloth like a wrapped up gift. I posted this question a couple weeks ago here But nobody ever replied. I suspect it may be possible, but extremely difficult. So for now I'm going to try texturing and writing a shader to make it look like cloth.