Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 23-10-2006 , 04:25 AM

game characters

hey chaps, these are some models i used for a uni project.

they're obviously unfinished for now, the textures are rather naff and i still have to get them ready to animate at least facially.

i'd really appreciate any c & c and tips on the way forward or indeed backward if you spot anything that will make animating/texturing harder.

the main character head is my second head ever and the girl and mau are third and fourth so please, please give me some c & c.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 23-10-2006 , 04:26 AM
the girl

# 3 23-10-2006 , 04:27 AM
whoops!

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 23-10-2006 , 04:28 AM
and mau himself

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 23-10-2006 , 04:40 AM
Hey man, any chances of some wires to see the topology, as that always contributes to the animation.

Cheers

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 23-10-2006 , 05:21 AM
sorry gster123, are these ok? i have the lo res ones too if that would help...

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 23-10-2006 , 05:22 AM
and the girl

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 23-10-2006 , 05:23 AM
and mau,

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 24-10-2006 , 12:32 PM
Subscriber
Hey vin209,
Is this a game character? this is pretty high poly for a normal game character...?!?
anyway, I have a comment more for the girl... A B C areas in picure.

A + B looks like her eyes are going to pop out and the sockets
Try getting some references (F,S,Persp)
of any woman and compare.
C looks like her mouth/bottomcheeks are too squashed.

That is the only crit I have, nice job never the less!
Keep it up.

Attached Thumbnails

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep - Scott Adams"

<b>Toxic Bunny</b>
# 10 24-10-2006 , 01:55 PM
hey chap, thanks for the comments!

the models are from refs designed by a friend. they're followed pretty well but as you say the eyes are a problem. i've fiddled with them to an extent but i will go back and fiddle further as i too am unsure of the eyepopping look.

it ws the first time for both of us at something like this and incredibly fun too. to be fair the interpretation of his design (f,s and persp refs) into the final model is all my fault and i'm glad someone pointed the flaws out for me to correct and so not repeat in the future.

they are for a next gen game trailer to be more precise so i've upped the count (or rather whacked a smooth on ;P) to make it look better for presentation purposes.

i did hear that next gen can do up to 9,000 polys per character but that could be wrong and i'd appreciate the correct info on that one so i can actually convert these to game models.

i'm still unsure of how to model for next gen, whether you can use smooth and that, but i'm sure some helpful soul can give me some pointers...

i'll have a pop at the mouth too and see if i can even it out a bit.

thanks toxic bunny you are a star! i will post an update soon as i can.