Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 31 27-03-2003 , 05:50 AM
I am using them for reference to compositing but dont render them out ...
yeah 72 dpi is good but still it seems that it limits the pixel amount ... I don't know why ...

# 32 27-03-2003 , 05:57 AM
Waddya know. I just tried importing a large PS file and it shows up black. That's probably the problem. It's probably too much for the graphics card to handle in realtime.

# 33 27-03-2003 , 06:00 AM
The only Maya issue I've had so far with my work Macs, (OSX Jag Dual proc, yada, yada) is that the spacebar doesn't work.

I LOVE my hotbox, but when I gotta use any of the macs, it just won't work.

Apple doesn't know what the prob is, and the funny part is that they sold them to us PRE-configured, and tested with Maya!??
Weird...
A|W doesn't know either....

Other than that...

On the chip tip, I'm just going to bite my tongue untill the next new Mac comes out, then I'll take a gander and see what's up.

I DO have to say, however, that even though I am a HARDCORE pc guy, and always will be, i've had no problems picking up on the user interface, and general usability of the OS.

OH YEAH! I just remembered... on our Macs, does anyone running OSX Jag have issues where it will RANDOMLY just stop, and "think"??? (multi colored wheel spinning etc.)

Is it just us? or....

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 34 27-03-2003 , 06:17 AM
That could be a number of problems. I think though, it's probably either network related, or the hard drive went to sleep. IMO, OS X still isn't as snappy as OS 9 us to be. But, given that this is a completely different OS from Apple, I'd say give it another year and OS X.? will rock! I don't really get the beachball problem at home on my DP, but at work, on my 933mhz unit, I get it from time to time copying files, processing, saving, etc. Well, I take that back, whenever I connect to my iDisk either at home or at work I get the beachball. But not when my computer is running normal tasks.

# 35 27-03-2003 , 06:20 AM
I don't have the problem with the spacebar... but the Image plane seems to be a general issue, can we get other people to comfirm that? .... I donno based on what Maya comes up with a Black Image plane ...G Card you say? well 128 Mb Nvidia ... if that does not do it ...

# 36 27-03-2003 , 11:03 AM
SM Alumni

Originally posted by wchamlet

3. Column Layout. This is the layout Alex is talking about. Same as List+...As with any layout, type a letter/first few, which selects the folder you want.

This layout (the others are in windows too) looks very nice indeed - can see why it would be faster simply because you'd have a good idea of where you are in the file heirachy. Thanks for taking the time to do the capture user added image

As far as Adobe and Apple having problems, I guess people don't know that Apple's Quartz technology, is based on Adobe's Postscript technology, and is liscenced for Apple's use in Quartz. The entire image on screen is completely anti-aliased, rendered on the graphics card, and is PDF. When you do a screen capture in Mac OS X the file is saved as a .pdf. When you want to print a file to disk, it saves the print run as a .pdf. IMO, I like that a lot because I can save tutorials from the net as .pdf files so I can always have them available. I can see where people are saying that FCP is cutting into the sales of Premier. But I think Adobe has much more going for it than just the Apple version of Premier. I really don't see why Adobe would be upset with it, IMO.

Like i said - its somthing that i read.. not a personal opinion, however it seems to be quite conceivable.

I really don't know why Apple hasn't released Renderman for OS X yet. I don't think it's because people can't use it for a renderfarm, because, if you don't know this, most studio's use every available computer to render sometime or another. Maybe they're just waiting for more of a demand for it. I dunno really.

Erm.. well you kinda answered your own question there so i wont bother saying anything user added image

# 37 27-03-2003 , 02:53 PM
Well being that we are in Render conversation, anybody tried network rendering with Mac os as the server host ?

I have for Macs here and I would like to know a couple of things ...
1) From terminal how do I command another computer in network to render ?
2) How do I create a script to run a batch render ?

Thanks for help