Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 15-10-2003 , 03:33 AM

flow path object - HELP

I'm having difficulty trying to successfully set up a flow path object. In a nutshell, I have a simple piece of geometry (an arrow) that I need to have flow along a motion path (nurbs curve). I'm using the "attach to motion path" workflow to get the geometry to follow the motion path. Then I use "flow path object" to get the geometry to actual flow along the curve. So far so good. The problem is that I'm getting twists in my ffdLatticeShape which is causing my geometry to twist and pinch at certain areas of the motion path. I've increased the S divisions on the lattice but I'm perplexed on how to untwist the bad sections of the lattice so that the geometry flows smoooothly. Please help.

-Mcbain

# 2 20-10-2003 , 10:08 PM
Maybe try turning off banking on the "attach" options?

Worth a try.

# 3 20-10-2003 , 11:08 PM
if its an arrow do you really need a lattice? Post a pick up of whats happening so i can get a better idea to help you out.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 4 21-10-2003 , 01:11 AM
Kurt,

thanks for the response. Here are a few frames which should help illustrate my dilemma. I've tried several fixes including starting with a pristine nurbs circle to use as the motion path curve (rather than using the ep or cp tool). I've been adjusting the motion path "world up type" in the attribute editor of the arrow. I even have banking turned off. Nothing really seems to help.

thanks a million for your help.

-Chuck

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 21-10-2003 , 01:31 AM
The lattice looks like it has been twisted in 2 different spots. Try to select the lattice point on those two sections and move or twist them out to get the shape back to normal. (Its should be square all around) Im pretty sure thats why your getting the weird defromations.

A alternate way of doing the arrow, is actully bind it to a skeleton about 4 or 5 joints and make a spline ik for animaton then attach it to a path.

This link is a sample of a fish animatic I did that is done with the alternate solution. similar to the arrow.

https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthr...&threadid=2676

If that dont work i'll keep thinking of other ideas.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb

Last edited by Kurt; 21-10-2003 at 01:35 AM.
# 6 21-10-2003 , 05:23 AM
Oky doky, I'll give both ideas a try. The second method sounds interesting. Cool little clip you sent. I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks!

-Chuck

If I work faithfully for 8 hours a day and become proficient at my job, I might get to join the ranks of management where I'll work 12 hours a day.

- Robert Frost