Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 18-05-2004 , 04:34 PM
Subscriber

Shield Suggestions?

A couple buddies of mine came to me asking if I could help them create a shield effect similar to that on Star Trek for a short that they are doing. My mind's a little razzled from another project that I am working on. Does anyone have any suggestions on what steps I should take in trying to create a Shield like that?? It would help me out tons. Thanx.

~InvaZimm

# 2 19-05-2004 , 05:48 AM
Look into shaders. But it sounds more like an AfterFX thing rather than a Maya thing.

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 3 19-05-2004 , 09:41 PM
Subscriber
That is what I thought in the beginning, using shaders. But I started wondering if there might be something better that could give the same effect. I'll test out the shader thing and see if that works out for what they want. Thanx.

InvaZimm

John 'Zimm' Zimmermann
Setup Artist
https://johnzimmermann.com

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." - A. Einstein
# 4 21-05-2004 , 01:02 PM
Highend3d has a nice x-ray shader. Increase the transparency and you change the color to a blueish from the green and you have a decent "Shield", just put it on a nurbs sphere around your object and it works fine.

# 5 21-05-2004 , 11:06 PM
Subscriber
Thanx alot, twisted. I'll check into that.

InvaZimm

John 'Zimm' Zimmermann
Setup Artist
https://johnzimmermann.com

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." - A. Einstein
# 6 22-05-2004 , 12:19 AM
Yeh that x ray shader is nice.