Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 27-06-2005 , 05:33 PM

defining a thickness for a polygon

hello,

Being such a noob i was wondering how to define a thickness for a sphere's surface and i need the inside of this sphere to be hollow. Eventually, we need to cut the sphere through animation and see the inside of it. I was wondering how to define this (where to acces minor/major radius ).

thank you for your time and understanding,
daphnisss

# 2 27-06-2005 , 05:47 PM
Subscriber
Poly, nurbs, or subdiv sphere?

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 3 27-06-2005 , 05:55 PM
thank you for your prompt reply,
I would like it to be done with a polygon.

# 4 27-06-2005 , 07:18 PM
Subscriber
method 1: Create a sphere, duplicate it and scale it proprotionally outward to match whatever thickness is needed. select the outside sphere THEN shift select the inside sphere (the order is important). with both spheres selected perform a boolean difference operation to subtract the inner sphere from the outer sphere.

method 2: Create a sphere, switch to face component mode, and select all the faces of the sphere. Extrude the faces outward. ensure "keep faces together" is selected in the polygons>tool options when doing this.

method 3: User rigid/soft body dynamics... this one is a bit beyond me, but I know it can be done this.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."