Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 07-03-2006 , 05:49 AM

shader and texture

I am new to maya and i am a user of maya6.

In this texturing i am confused about the terms texture and shader.

What is the difference between those two.Where should we use texture and where should we use shader.Please tell me.

# 2 07-03-2006 , 08:41 AM
Subscriber
i use shaders for things like plastics glass and things like that simple reflective stuff, textures are for u know woods, decals Skin, eyes, maybe a wall that needs dirtying up. u would use textures to add more detail into the standard shader. a shader is the base material u would apply a created photoshop texture too.

# 3 07-03-2006 , 01:21 PM
Quoting from two book's here

Book 1

"Shading is the term in Maya software for applying colours and textures, knows as shaders, after you model your objects...

Shading is the proper term for applying a renderable colour, surface bumps etc, Texturing is formally used when applying a map....

The porcess of shading is often refered to as texturing

A shader is a material node such as the Lambert, Blinn, Phong.."

Book 2
" Texturing generall refers to the process of building a surfaces detail indicating how that surface will react to light.."

I looks to me that there is a difference as Magicsy said but it appears that the terms are pretty much interchangable, depending who you talk too.

# 4 10-03-2006 , 05:50 AM
hey, thanks for that.

Now please, you people can tell me an easy way to create a skin texture or tell me a good site in the internet about this texture of skin or creating the texture of skin.

# 5 10-03-2006 , 08:04 AM
Subscriber
www.highend3d.com

They have free shaders to download maybe u can work it out from the shader u download.

<a href="https://www.angelfire.com/blog/simon_hitchins/3d_models"> My Website </a>
# 6 14-03-2006 , 04:34 AM
hey thank you.

I want to create my own textures in photoshop.

Can you please suggest me a site where i can learn texturing in photoshop.

I have searched some tutorials which just tell me the way to go about how to create it but never tell me about which function is to be used. They keep taliking like `blend the layer`.

But i need to know how to blend.

# 7 15-03-2006 , 10:51 PM
Have a look into UV mapping, as I think this is what youre after.

I think you need to be a bit more specific in your questions as it's quite hard to give good advice on a very borard question.

I.e. what type of texture are you going for? Basic colour? Bump? Displacement? Speculartiy? etc?

# 8 16-03-2006 , 04:34 AM
Basically i am going about the colour and the bump mapping.

It is very difficult to get the exact color or the blending mode

# 9 16-03-2006 , 11:45 AM
You need to unwrap the UV's exprot them into hpotoshop and use them as the "canvas" for your colours, for a bump map use just grayscele images, again over the UV map and then map these images to the colour and bump map attributes.

Theres loads of tutorials if you do a search for UV mapping

Hope this helps

# 10 17-03-2006 , 07:22 AM
hey thanks for that.

Now i want to know about specularity. In HELP it is told that `specular reflection is a type of reflection that occurs when light hits a shiny surface. It causes highlights on the object.`

I could not get what he was saying in that help. Can u explain it to me in easy words and can u also tell me its applications or examples of what it can do.

# 11 17-03-2006 , 02:08 PM
# 12 21-03-2006 , 07:50 AM
Thank u very much for that.