Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 29-01-2008 , 11:50 PM
Subscriber

toon vekulars (cars)

i started this some time ago in another 'space and thread.'

I found that using the 'preview' feature (new to 2008 user added image ) did bad things to my geometry going back to 'normal' mode , probably because i am no expert and my lines were not incredibly clean.

now i duplicate the object before 'previewing' it.., that is why two cars in this scene.., i will delete the smoothed one as soon as i have looked at it and evaluated.., 30 seconds???

i have left it here for your evaluation.., normally i dont save them with the scene.

i have started this from scratch again.., new thread.., new object!

long ways to go.

Attached Thumbnails

take it easy and life will be easy

Last edited by mirek03; 17-02-2008 at 01:52 PM.
# 2 30-01-2008 , 03:29 PM
Subscriber
a lot of crashes, doing finicky stuff.., then crash.., man.., i wish there was an auto save.., even the file was corrupted.

not much difference can be seen but a good 6 hours work.., probably 2 or 3 if you consider the crashes.

lucky i increment save or i would have lost a lot more, the whole file,

anyway....,

here it is..,

Attached Thumbnails

# 3 30-01-2008 , 04:17 PM
Subscriber
a little more.., a few verts here and a few verts there

Attached Thumbnails

# 4 31-01-2008 , 02:09 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Well, what you have so far is looking good.

Not too much to go on right now user added image

Though, I too enjoy modeling little cartoon style cars.
Theres something nice about not having to follow exact blueprints, and to also see what you accidentally come up with user added image

Looking forward to updates!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 5 31-01-2008 , 09:56 AM
Subscriber
no accidents so far (pun). still putting along.., tut tut !!

the tut is based on what the 'student' feels to do. i did notice it change radically between chapters.., without explanations or even it being pointed out, its a fairly lose tut, yes !

user added image

# 6 31-01-2008 , 10:21 AM
Lifetime Member
Visions of Wacky Races comes to mind..hehe

Now I am showing my age , a good start but six hours ..hmmm

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 7 31-01-2008 , 10:50 AM
Subscriber
i was wrong.., there was a big accident and it relates to that 6 hours.., i spent a lot of time shaping.., but too early.., i hadnt finished blocking it out.., slowly i begin to learn th iimportance of modeling in stages and blocking out is the foundation.., of course that sounds completely obvious.., but its not.., it deceptive. i shaped in too much around the wheel wells andnow i cant make the wheel wells .., too much geometry.., too many curves.., not enough straight lines

say good bye to this one.., i have to start it again.., why not eh.., live and learn

but yes, the idea WAS to have a few of these on st. i have some of my own designs but i wanted to learn the techniques (and learning i am, by mistake) and put them in a set. as i said some where./., i hope i do it within the year.., school starts Monday (orientation)

Muser added image

Attached Thumbnails

# 8 31-01-2008 , 11:35 AM
Well, I'm sorry to hear you had to re-start, though from looking at your wireframes. You didn't actually have an unmanageable amount of geometry.

In fact, I can see there is an ideal surface area for modeling wheel arches, where you would want them.

Anyway, good look with your project.

And remember... Don't give up on a project every time you hit a speed bump (no pun intended) user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"

Last edited by Mayaniac; 31-01-2008 at 11:38 AM.
# 9 31-01-2008 , 01:45 PM
that was so pun intended(above)

Looks good. Ive never done anything cartoony. sounds fun. I love exaggerated proportions.

# 10 31-01-2008 , 04:40 PM
i like the shape of the car so far....keep it up

# 11 31-01-2008 , 06:13 PM
Subscriber
younglion; many thanks.., the next will be better user added image trust me.., it is important to BLOCK first.., as kurt says in all his tuts.., he says that for a reason i discovered today.., and it takes more than 'it is important to block things out first, i cant stress that enough' to understand it user added image thanks again user added image if i continued, serious topology problems and not a nice look.

twisteddragon33; hey yea, cartoon is fun.., what will be good is it will have a realistic render.., that will be interesting. how this one was designed was.., take a photo of a police car, fire engine, whatever.., take it into PS., mask, copy, paste, clone.., all the usual Matt tools and c exaggerate the proportions in PS.., take it into maya.., and BLOCK it out ( user added image ) and think ahead.., how will i do this.., i out smated myself in this one.

thanks mate user added image

Mayaniac; i dont speed (pun intended), yea the lines look good eh?? i agree but there is too much curvature in Z to extrude without problems in this situation. I found that as i was bailing out the water. and using the split poly tool.., err, disaster!!
no one is giving up mate, this is not a competition user added image this is me trying to learn and do the best i can. it would take longer to do what you suggest than start again.., after all it is only extruding a cube. no problem user added image

no need to be sorry to start again.., im happy to learn and do it properly.

many thanks.

# 12 31-01-2008 , 09:28 PM
Subscriber
looking better already user added image

Attached Thumbnails

# 13 01-02-2008 , 02:32 AM
Well, I'm still sorry to see the original go. It had a nice shape going on.

But, I'm still looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

Oh, and one thing... You should delete the bottom faces. This way you wont have to have a cluster of edge loops around the bottom to hold a sharp Edge.

Good luck!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 14 01-02-2008 , 01:26 PM
Subscriber
hey thanks for that tip.., much appreciated.

ill think you'll agree.., its looking better already.., and you can see i am watching out for the tire wells as i go.., taking them into account from the start.

many thanks

Muser added image

Attached Thumbnails

# 15 01-02-2008 , 01:40 PM
Subscriber
cleaner lines by far..,now you see why i started again.., i was aware of too many errors.., outsmarting myself. you know, the competitive spirit the people with little knowledge come sometimes be inflicted with.., like me !! have to prove a point!! :attn: user added image user added image user added image

Attached Thumbnails