Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 13-03-2008 , 08:58 PM

Hi .... am a maya newbie and am looking for tutorial notes to get me started modellin

hi am new to maya and am looking for tutorial notes to get me started modelling with maya .i've watched some of the videos but i want notes on basics of maya. please help me with useful websites

keep moving 4ward
# 2 13-03-2008 , 09:18 PM
Subscriber
Well a quick google search yield plenty of text tutorials.
https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...e+Search&meta=
I'm sure you can find something in the google machine that you require.

What kind of modeling are you looking to do?
I think you'd be best getting some books as they are fairly well written in most cases and show a lot of things you can end up with.
Do you know the maya basics already and where all the tools are and how they work? If not I'd suggest an intro to Maya book as they give you all that and some awesome projects to get your feet wet.

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 3 13-03-2008 , 09:33 PM
i want to learn modelling and then do animation .thankx, i will google. the prob is that am new maya and i want to start learning the basisc b4 i go into animation. is it possible for me to go straight to animation or i have to learn modelling first

keep moving 4ward
# 4 13-03-2008 , 10:03 PM
Subscriber
that really depends on what you can get your hands on. I think you need to learn modeling first so that you can understand what is happening when you animate and how to troubleshoot problems that do arise.
There is a lot more to animation than just taking a modeled character and moving it.

You have to rig it which essentially means to set it up with bones and structure for animation.
There are a few other threads on these forums with links to great introductory books and I think you should check those out. The new ones are definitely worth the $40 or so dollars that they cost.

You will find a bunch here.

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 5 14-03-2008 , 03:27 AM
Senior Software Developer
If your truely just starting. Press F1 and go through the Maya Tutorials, it will help you get used the the interface and the basics of modelling. Then download the free Basic Human Form tutorial Kurt provided (https://www.simplymaya.com/movie_page...tml?tut_id=138).

Then move on and do another, grab a copy of the Digital Tutors DVD's or eDownload and do that. Once you feel confident then start outin your own modelling what you see in front of you, TV's, Computers, Monitors, Washers, Dryers. Then do organic's. Self Portrait, family members. But always come back here and ask for help when u are stuck.

Welcome to SM and welcome to 3D, have fun.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 6 14-03-2008 , 08:08 PM
thankx a lot let me get started and i''l alawys come bak for help when am stuck.i was also watching tutorials from youtube aslo, i found them very helpful

keep moving 4ward
# 7 15-03-2008 , 03:42 PM

basic human form

hi i was doing the basic human form tutorial and i did everything right , but got stuck when i was @ hypershade where am supozd to hti the key 6 and then the image pops up on the plane. the plane remained shaded with no image

keep moving 4ward
# 8 16-03-2008 , 02:48 AM
Subscriber
you have to assign the material to the plane
go in the hypershade
do your texture (import your image)
minimize the window(hypershade only)
select the plane
open the hypershade window do assign material
(you can just click on the two square I dont remember the name... but to have a smaller window instead of a full screen)
then... when its done
in your maya modeling screen
hit 6

supposed to work.. if it dont well... try to assign the material again and press 4,5,6 (4= no texture, 5= grey I think..., 6=texture)

hope it help

ho and... no need to pay to learn there's a lot of free tutorials everywhere the one you're doing is great
but for animations some give you a model and tell you how to bone it and animate (rare.. but some do it)

Maya modeler - current project Avatar - purplemikey