Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 23-02-2010 , 02:15 AM
Subscriber

nuke

hi all. i was wondering if anyone has used nuke before. i need it for a course im doing. i have quite a few questions about it really, but i guess first things first, has anyone downoaded from the foundrys website? im thinking of buying a quarer, 'render' license, which looks to cost about 80 quid or 120 dollars...not sure of conversion rate...but that seems very cheap to me, im not sure if it will be suitable.

and secondly, if/when im in the position, are there any good sources of instruction outside of nukes helpfiles and the foundrys own tutorials that have helped anyone else.? im imagining working in nuke to be like working in mayas hypershade, plugging different functions and nodes in to different slots.

does anyone have experience of nuke?

any heads up's? stories of fun? tales of despair?

# 2 23-02-2010 , 02:51 AM
Technical Director
Our studio just moved over to Nuke as one of our main compositing applications.

A render license will not help you, as that is for render farms. You can't do anything with it, but render. You can't open the main application, compose shots, etc. It just picks up jobs and renders them.

There is a PLE version of it, that should be fine for your course. Otherwise, you'll have to pay £2,300 for a full license. Educational pricing (I think) exists as well.

FXPhd, and Digital Tutors are good for instruction. However, a lot of it will be found by trial and error, and web forums.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Last edited by NextDesign; 23-02-2010 at 02:53 AM.
# 3 23-02-2010 , 08:07 AM
The Nurb Herd
so you are getting into 2D ben?

I learned shake, but now -as nextDesign has said- everyone is switching over to nuke. I hear its a lot better than shake. I believe it was developed by the same guy who made shake after apple ditched it.

# 4 23-02-2010 , 12:18 PM
Subscriber
thanks nextdesign, i thought that did sound a bit cheap. that would be good if the ple version is ok, its just, with maya ple you cant export / import between apps can you. the course involves maya photoshop, nuke, and after effects?

ah yes digital tutors does have a nuke section doesnt it, i havnt been on there for a while. i like digital tutors. fxphd is new to me. phd! i struggled with a bsc!

hh: at the moment. although to my mind it still involves some 3d. i forget the tutors name, but i had a gnomon tutorial, a matte painting one, that mixed 2d elements with 3d. it was like an industrial base set in a snowy mountainous environment. i like, and have also, chris stoskis tutorial with a castle kind of palace type building in a landscape with waterfalls. im interested in mixing 2d with 3d, by 3d i mean models and renders, not animation as such. but the camera projection techniques i have seen interest me also. in that first tutorial i mention, the base in the snow, the guy takes his finished painting and projects it as a texture onto his model in maya, and then does a little pan animation. it looks brilliant. id like to learn how to do that. anything else i can learn will be great. the course looks like it covers quite alot, just, with it being online i dont know how it will work out. id never used after effects till 3 days ago, so ive got some cramming to do before it starts. im missing modelling though a bit. so overall im still with 3d.

Last edited by ben hobden; 23-02-2010 at 12:25 PM.