Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 22-08-2010 , 01:08 PM
Head of 3d Admedia

which 600dollar card

So as its two days to pay day decided to spoil myself with a yummy graphics card and im not willing to go above 600 usd i was thinking of a geforce gtx 460 in sli or the ati hd 5970 i already got a processor that can push this card(took me months to save for that one)
so any pointers would be greatly appreciated........im already leaning towards an nvidia solution

we all know ati problems and with maya but if i can get better value for buck (gaming wise) i will go for nvidia

# 2 22-08-2010 , 01:20 PM
yeah I thought in the ATI thread you didnt like them, if thats the case scratch it off right away.

If your going SLI remember it won't make a blind bit of difference to any performance in Maya.

If your gaming then I would go Gforce, if its pure 3D work then, I would go the same, ubnless you want to get a quadro, I've personally not seen much differece between using a quadro and a gforce.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 22-08-2010 , 01:37 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
hey steve its gaming and for maya also i play games when i am free and dont have anywork going on i had a 8800gtx hooked up to a 54'' playing street fighter 4 with the mates was just awesome but that used to happen like once a month,can you really game on a quadro card? dont need insane resolution and all that dx 11 gaming

# 4 22-08-2010 , 06:35 PM
Subscriber
maybe it's just my crappy computer, but I can't game with my quadro card at all. Games are choppy and lag a bit. I don't think they handle games well. If they do for others then it might just be my crap computer.

I've been thinking of getting a good gaming card that also handles maya very well and getting rid of my quadro fx 3450.

# 5 22-08-2010 , 08:16 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
ok this aint related to this but whats the maximum no. of threads maya can use for rendering i hear some programs cant go past 16threads like lightwave

# 6 23-08-2010 , 08:30 AM
I think it can use whatever its got.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle