Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 16-07-2004 , 05:20 PM
Subscriber

Panther W.I.P

This is my first organic creation, hopefully it will go as planned. I think my real problem right now (besides making it look like a panther) is working on keeping the geometry happy so i can convert back to sub d's. It keeps telling me I can just use the cleanup tool to handle it, but it doesnt wanna have that work, even with that one recommended checkbox checked. Anyways... ill post the work as it goes...

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 16-07-2004 , 05:22 PM
Subscriber
and a side shot ( a while after that first one because ive been fixing geometry, or at least i think i am user added image )

I guess its going ok so far, but im converting everything into polys so i can merge the vertices together. Not sure how Ill add fur w/o converting the whole thing into nurbs later

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 16-07-2004 , 07:53 PM
looks cool so far user added image

# 4 16-07-2004 , 08:09 PM
Subscriber
nice start!
I woudn't think of the fur part yet...just keep concentraiting on the modeling part first...

Maybe you could sent some wires of the polys so that we can see how clean your model is sofar user added image keep this going...lookin' forward for some updates user added image

# 5 16-07-2004 , 08:42 PM
Subscriber
Heres the wire

Btw is this an acceptable image size for posting? Im not sure how much i should shrink them down

Thanks a bunch for the comments, hopefully itll turn out decent. Im probably not gonna worry about the fur till then end

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Immortal1490; 16-07-2004 at 08:47 PM.
# 6 16-07-2004 , 09:40 PM
Subscriber
is this just in poly mode? cause if it is than it looks really NOT clean I have to say! you need to make sure that you keep as many quads as possible! triagles is your second option but under no *subconsenses you should do *otherwheis! also what I need to mention is that you will probably want to make less polys as possible cause you will only make it harder on yourself... with a few polys you should get a nice body and than you can use splitpolygon to add some detail or make more polys (to attach a leg or something...) at a later time

also what would be a great Idea is to start off with nurbs... It's easy to handle and you can get a nice body with it...If you want you can allways change to polymode later if you're more *confrontable with that... That's just something I learned from some of the tuts here at SM!

*don't look at my english...I know it's bad... Im too tired to grab my dictionary :p lol

well these things I wrote down is just to help you further out.....you can see what you do with them user added image

I hope you will not take these words as a negative but use it in a positive way user added image

Last edited by ransick; 16-07-2004 at 09:43 PM.
# 7 16-07-2004 , 10:18 PM
Subscriber
Ur english was fine, thanks for the advice, I had started with NURBS and then converted them to polys to attach them together with the merge vertices tool. Thx for the advice

# 8 17-07-2004 , 06:13 AM
Subscriber
ok man! make sure you update....I want to see how you progress user added image

# 9 17-07-2004 , 06:54 PM
Subscriber
well is there any point if the geometry is messed up already?

# 10 17-07-2004 , 10:56 PM
Lifetime Member
Immortal I can see many 5 sided pieces of geometry on your wire, you should concentrate on removing those by adding lines with the split poly tool and or deleting edges to create 4 sided polygons, a few 3 side would be ok but you should avoid 5 sided completely.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 11 18-07-2004 , 11:05 PM
wow love this idea, sounds hard but it could be really cool when finished. keep the updates comin!