Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 16-04-2012 , 04:25 PM
Alec Carson

Hash-like distortion when rendering using real flow mesh and caustic materials

hey guys.... very new to this forum. I'm kinda stuck with a problem that neither my teacher nor anyone else i have talked to seems to know how to fix. I'm working with caustic photons and dielectric materials in maya... after importing a mesh from real flow. i keep getting a hash-like distortion on the final render. any idea what might be going wrong?

i'll post the most recent render picture with this post. maybe someone can help.

user added image

Last edited by ACars441; 16-04-2012 at 04:35 PM.
# 2 16-04-2012 , 04:40 PM
Lifetime Member
Hard to tell without seeing your render settings. Is this Mental Ray? do you have any noise or blur attributes on? It looks like some of the liquid is going through the glass on the bottom left or is that suppose to be a splash over? What are you using for a light source?

- Jake
# 3 16-04-2012 , 04:41 PM
Technical Director
It could be that the realflow mesh is actually penetrating the glass. Put a lattice on it, and scale it down a bit so that it isn't intersecting. Then give it a render, and see if you still get the artifact.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 4 16-04-2012 , 04:57 PM
Alec Carson
First off, thanks for responding! I really appreciate it.

-Joverall22: Yes this is in mental ray, and no, I don't have any noise or blur attributed to that material. Bottom left is a splash over. as for a light source, i have an hdri dome for the scene lighting, and a spot light with no intensity, but it is emitting caustic photons. I'll try to post my render settings after the rest of my classes today.

-Next Design: originally i thought that as well. however, i did animate the real flow mesh, so when i scrubbed back my timeline to before the glass was full, and did a render, i was also getting the artifacts in the empty glass.

i want to try to put this in my demo reel, but i think i'm going to have to toy with the viscosity of the mesh in real flow again... its looking kind of jello-y lol. but first i have to get this distortion figured out.

# 5 16-04-2012 , 05:01 PM
Technical Director
I have some time, send me the file and I'll take a look. Make sure you bake the mesh into the scene.

# 6 16-04-2012 , 05:05 PM
The Nurb Herd
Sorry can you point out the distortion? i'm not sure what's the problem and what's just low-res compression. user added image

# 7 16-04-2012 , 05:17 PM
Technical Director
Look at the black areas near the stem.

# 8 16-04-2012 , 05:36 PM
The Nurb Herd
ah cool, i zoomed in.
does the glass have a thickness?
how is it lit?

# 9 16-04-2012 , 05:45 PM
Alec Carson
Ok, I'll bake the animation. And where do I send the file?

Honestdom: yes it has thickness, and refer back to my second post about the lighting.

# 10 16-04-2012 , 05:49 PM
Technical Director
Either PM me a link, or PM me, and I'll send you my email address.