Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 29-12-2006 , 04:54 PM
Subscriber

Oraganic Man moving points

Hi guys!!!!

Just a few questions I need answering

(1)I'm working on the organic man tutorial and want to no where I can find the button that sets all the selected points to the X asis (attached is a screen shot of the tutor using the button)

(2)How do set up your own custom tab, so u can store all your favourite commands?

cheers guys

Attached Images
# 2 29-12-2006 , 04:57 PM
Subscriber
oh and I like to no where I can locate this button aswel, the tutor uses it on the tutorial, but he doesn't state what its called

cheers guys and hav a gr8 newyears

Attached Images
# 3 29-12-2006 , 10:03 PM
Subscriber
Gday there matthing,

From the look of the icon you show, that sets all selected points to the X axis I'd be inclined to think that this was a Mel script. You can achieve the same effect by scaling them all to lie in a single plane before moving that plane to to X = 0,
Though obviously not nearly as convenient as a single click.
I guess it's just a matter of writing a script that will step throught the list of selected verts and set the TranslateX to 0 for each of them.

As for the second button, this is converting a subD object to a poly object, right?

Well, to create a custom shelf and place the converting button on it, follow these few steps.

1)Window->SettingsPrefferences->Shelves...
2)Select the Shelves tab
3)Hit the New Shelf button
4)Using the Name field at the bottom, call it Custom or something that willl be equally clear.
5)Hit Save All Shelves

You will now have a new shelf, with the name you entered in step 4.

1) Hold down ctrl and shift.
2) Select Modify->Convert->Subdiv to Polygons

This will place the new button onto your new shelf, complete with icon even.

Ah-hah! Just had a brain-flash about how to do the X=0 button! You can move something either by a relative amount(default when using the mouse), or to an absolute value. You can also specify which axis to move along (default is all 3 at once)

Sooo, try creating a cube, selecting 4 verts and then typing this into the command line at the botom left of the screen.

move -x -a 0;

This will move all selected items in the X axis (only) to an absolute value of 0.

You can open up the script editor, type this text in and then copy it to your new shelf by selecting all of the text and middle-mouse dragging it up to your shelf.

Happy New Years all.
Simon

# 4 30-12-2006 , 12:06 AM
Subscriber
cheers

# 5 30-12-2006 , 12:42 AM
Subscriber
I must be feeling generous tonight, here's an icon you can use for the Xaxis = 0 button. (Windows paint won't work, used photoshop for this one.)

Just copy it to your MyDocuments\maya\7.0\prefs\icons folder, or the ProgramFiles\Alias\Maya7.0\icons directory.

I use the first location, since when I backup myDocuments and then reinstall windows, followed by reinstalling maya it's just a matter of copying the MyDocuments folder back and voila! your icon is there again - no need to copy the file individually to the ProgramFiles\Alias\Maya7.0\icons directory.

Don't forget that you also need to tell the shelf editor the location of your icon..

Simon

Attached Images
File Type: bmp xaxisicon.bmp (3.1 KB, 172 views)
# 6 30-12-2006 , 02:45 AM

Re: Oraganic Man moving points

Originally posted by matthing

(1)I'm working on the organic man tutorial and want to no where I can find the button that sets all the selected points to the X asis (attached is a screen shot of the tutor using the button)

If I understand this question correctly, all you need to do is open the move tool option box and untick the box that says 'retain component spacing'. Now select the points and hold down x and all of the points should snap to the grid line together.

# 7 30-12-2006 , 03:58 AM
Subscriber
Thanx for the tip about the move tool options Arran.
Forgotten all about not being able to nut that one out, and have been scaling then moving ever since. Well that's two more weapons in my armoury now, thank you Matthing and Arran.

Simon