Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 16-11-2008 , 01:02 PM

All my polygons are flashing!!!

Hello, guys, I have a big problem of my polygons flashing whenever I rotate the view!!!
I had checked the lighting, the face normal, textures( in .jpg)...they are all alright. And it will be no different if I changed any of those.
I had also tried to delete history, export into a new file without all the included options, it still flashes!!!
Then I tried to changed the near clip plane from 0.1 to 100 (in centimeter) then there seem to be no flashing.
But the point is I have to export it into .x file, and it is still flashing!!! :headbang:
My project is heading the deadline, so if anyone of you have any ideas pleeeeeeeeeease let me know asap, I will update the post if more details are needed :bow:

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 16-11-2008 , 01:34 PM
COuld be a problem with your graphics card

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 16-11-2008 , 01:43 PM
I have tired to open someone else's model and output it, it didn't flash in both Maya and .x file.

# 4 17-11-2008 , 02:16 PM
Z fighting??? user added image

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 5 18-11-2008 , 09:45 AM
I am a newbie in Maya, I have checked z-fighting in wiki and I dun think I got it, doesn't it mostly occur in coplanar polygons?
And if it's really the case then what should I do?
The version I use is Maya 2008, is there any setting I have to change for that?

# 6 18-11-2008 , 05:43 PM
I'm guessing it is Z-fighting. Z fighting occurs when there are two primitives that have a similair values in the Z-buffer. The Z-buffer has reduced precision if the clipping planes are far away, and since you mentioned that changing the near clip plane fixed the problem, it probaly is Z-fighting then.

(Experts: If I got this wrong, please correct me.)

If you don't need the clip planes that far apart, move them closer to each other, it should solve this.

# 7 23-11-2008 , 03:51 AM
Well, I know the far clip plane of the program is 2000, and the near clip plane is 5 now, the flashing is lessen, but I can't increase the near clip plane more, coz when I wander in the program the objects will disappear even if I'm not so near them.
Is there another method to eliminate the flashing?

# 8 23-11-2008 , 04:03 AM
I am not aware of other methods, although in your case it sounds that the Z-fighting is a bit worse than normal (how far are you away from the model?) I usually just ignore it. It sucks for previewing your model as the geometry isn't shown precisely due to chunks of it disappearing, but I just do a quick low quality render for previewing to get around that.