Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 05-03-2003 , 08:14 PM

rendering objects w/ only shadows

hello everyone. I'm quite new to Maya but I wasn't too sure if i should have asked this in the newbie section. I'm pretty sure this was asked before. I have an object. Lets just say it's a cylinder. I want to be able to just render out the shadows of the cylinder and not the cylinder itself. Would anyone know how to go about doing this??? Remind you, I'm a beginner so if anyone could give me a hand or give me a link to a tutorial with the same situation. And if you say render in passes.. please explain.
Thanks,
Sonny

# 2 05-03-2003 , 10:05 PM
Try to use render passes (in Render Globals => Render Layers/Pass Control => Enable Global Passes) - you can render beauty pass, shadow, specular, diffuse etc.
Hope it helps user added image

# 3 05-03-2003 , 11:15 PM
Subscriber
what about making the object cast shadows but not renderable itself?

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 4 06-03-2003 , 05:17 AM
how would i make the object cast shadows but not renderable itself.. (newbie here)

# 5 06-03-2003 , 05:29 AM
ok.. sorry for the second reply.. but I think... keyword is think i got the render global passes to work the correct way