Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 08-02-2013 , 10:30 PM

Mental Ray Window Blank ...

I've had this problem off and on for quite some time now. Upon opening certain files (doesn't seem to be any common variables between files) the Mental Ray window, within Render Settings, is blank. This has also effected the Maya Software settings window as well. I've gone online and executed a search relating to this problem but no one seems to have a fix, or explanation for that matter. This is no small annoyance. I'm currently at a standstill until I can resolve the issue. Having seen all the other posts relating to this problem i'm frankly stunned Autodesk hasn't addressed this. Is there ANYONE who has a solution. I need some help here !!!!!!!

# 2 09-02-2013 , 05:54 AM
Technical Director
Try backing up your Maya preferences folder, then deleting the original. The next time you open Maya, the folder will be recreated.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 09-02-2013 , 12:08 PM
Subscriber

# 4 09-02-2013 , 04:33 PM

Mental Ray Window Blank

NextDesign ... Tried your suggestion with no success. This was one of the first approach I tried but thought I'd revisit it, after your suggestion, just to make sure.

dustykhan ... I actually already have an "Instance" script I use for a "RenderView" window issue (Yet another Maya bug) that I've created a Shelf button for. Looked your script link over but am not exactly sure how to adapt it to my particular problem. Scripting is not exactly one of my strong points. I know just enough to get by presently. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. If you come up with anything else please post here. Below is the exact error message I get following the blank Mental Ray panel in Render Settings ...

// Error: file: /Users/mtcgs/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya/2013-x64/prefs/scripts/mentalrayUI.mel line 713: No object matches name: mentalrayGlobals.exportVerbosity

# 5 09-02-2013 , 06:22 PM
Technical Director
Are you sure you deleted "/Users/mtcgs/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya/2013-x64/prefs"?

# 6 09-02-2013 , 06:41 PM
Positive. Now I cannot access ANY of my "Render Using" settings in the "Render Settings" panels. I've noticed that if I open a clean window and my settings are there, as soon as I click "MentalRay" ALL the settings go blank even for the other options such as "Maya Software" etc.

# 7 09-02-2013 , 07:46 PM
Technical Director
Have you tried a re-install?

# 8 09-02-2013 , 08:00 PM
Yes. No luck. Is there a way I can completely erase Maya but save all the scripts and plugins I've amassed over the years. I use things like UV Layout, HDR Light Studio, Spray Trace, GoZ for ZBrush, Soup, etc. And yes I have kept all my scripts and plugins current for compatibility reasons.

# 9 09-02-2013 , 08:08 PM
Super Moderator
Is there a rendering related plugin those scenes could have utilized that isn't loaded?

- Genny
# 10 09-02-2013 , 08:34 PM
No. And now its doing it with previously worked on files that were perfectly fine. Every once and a while i'll open Maya and all the panels are fine. As soon as I click on the Mental Ray button, ("Render Using" in Render Settings) the panel goes blank ... as do the other options.

# 11 09-02-2013 , 09:08 PM
Ok ... I think I may have traced the source of this mess. I'm working with CAD files from one of the automotive companies for future product lines. These files are converted to .mb format for studios like mine to use with Maya. I've noticed one file in particular always displays this corrupt behavior. Once this happens ALL subsequent files display the same behavior. As long as I don't open this file everything seems to work fine. I think the random nature of the problem stems from other files with this same corruption. I'll have to pay close attention for a common thread.

# 12 09-02-2013 , 11:14 PM
Technical Director
Try saving it as an .ma, open it up in TextEdit, and delete the line that references mentalrayGlobals.exportVerbosity

# 13 16-09-2016 , 06:00 AM

corrupt file

This happened to me. I quit maya, re-opened, created a new scene, and mental ray was working again, with no more mention of the "mentalrayGlobals.exportVerbosity" error I was getting before.