Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 21-06-2016 , 07:15 PM

Glow in Maya 2016

Hey,

I'm using Maya 2016 with the Arnold renderer. I want to put a glow or halo on a object. I found some tutorials for this, but nothing worked for me. Most of them are for older Maya versions. For example to use a blinn shader and under "Special Effects " there should be some kind of glow regulator but in Maya 2016 there is no "Special Effect".
Does anyone know how to make a glow/halo on a object and which will be rendered on arnold?
Please be accurate, I'm almost new to shading in Maya.

Thanks for any help.

# 2 23-06-2016 , 08:35 PM
Super Moderator
Since I don’t use Arnold, I’m not sure if it supports Maya glow. The glow intensity slider should be there unless something changed in Maya 2016 EXT 2 (which would be an odd thing to remove). Can you provide screenshots?

Honestly though, I’d do the glow effect in post for a couple reasons:

-More versatile looks. Each Maya scene has one glow regardless of the different intensities per shader (the shader glow you see in Hypershade controls the look for all glows in a scene)

-If for some reason you have to adjust the glow, you don’t have to re-render the 3D scene

- Genny