Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 17-09-2007 , 02:18 AM
19 year Veteran
Last one.

I am aware the head should not slope at the top and it will be fixed.

Attached Images
# 17 21-09-2007 , 06:58 AM
haha, nice! I was just watching a special on easter island, darn Maui...

Yay, not a freshman anymore!
# 18 12-10-2007 , 08:14 PM
19 year Veteran
Sorry for the lack up updates, been having internet problems. My modem went out last week before last, and have been having bad connection problems for the past few days with my new one. Don't know if I'm going to be able to finnish my entry by deadline.

kinddoggofwar: I missed the special about that, what did they have to say?

# 19 14-10-2007 , 10:51 AM
19 year Veteran
Ok, got my connection problems sorted out, should have updates comming soon.

# 20 16-10-2007 , 07:41 AM
Im not sure how true it is because everyone still says its a mystery, but supposedly the tribes found the tiny easter island by feeling the minuscule waves that rebound off of the land, by placing their feet in the water. The heads are supposed to represent the dead chiefs that are still watching over the villages. They also made heads to sell, but its still a mystery why some of the heads were placed face down in the dirt, or why some are incomplete. thats what I gathered from it! looking forward to seeing more updates!

Yay, not a freshman anymore!
# 21 27-10-2007 , 05:12 AM
19 year Veteran
Very Intresting kinddoggofwar. I read else where that there were two tribes on easter island ( long ears and short ears) The long ear tribe were the dominate ones, and short were the weaker. Anyway, long story short, the long ears enslaved the short ears and forced them to make the Moai heads. As time progressed, the short ear tribe grew stronger and eventually rebelled and killed of the long ear tribe. Atleast thats what I understood to have happened.

Anyway, update...

A render of the Moai head.

Attached Images
# 22 29-10-2007 , 08:43 AM
19 year Veteran
Ok final image. Not what I originally envisioned, but I'm very pleased with how it came out. I put a cloud background in to compliment the heads. It makes the whole scene seem majestic, and a late evining sky gives it a very warm feeling and makes the heads look like they are watching the sunset.

Tall, Ancient, and Majestic. The Moai heads hold many secrets.

Attached Thumbnails
# 23 29-10-2007 , 09:50 AM
Subscriber
Looks good, i like the how you textured it and added in the background sky. Also the dead grass at the bottom gives it a bit of composition :p

# 24 29-10-2007 , 10:27 AM
19 year Veteran
Cheers marlonjohn! user added image

I tried alot of different approaches for this, and none of them really came out looking very good. The slope of the rock quarry was my first dissapointment. I couldn't get the grass to look like the real grass on the quarry. Render times were just too long for fine tuning . I tried a grass map with some dissplacement on it, but it looked too fake close up. I went through alot of backgrounds to find the one I liked. The small patch of grass in the corner was a last mineut thing. It's there as a scene filler. This project was a real trial and error for an idea that was fairly simple.

My chances of winning are probably not good because the Moai are the only thing I actually worked on, and the rest is just background. However, if the judges take presentation into consideration, I might have a better chance.

# 25 29-10-2007 , 10:01 PM
not bad THX1138 - i like this entry a lot. you always do a good job compositing. user added image

# 26 29-10-2007 , 10:11 PM
Jr.Who
I like the render, but it needs to be anti-aliased.
user added image

# 27 30-10-2007 , 05:53 AM
19 year Veteran
Cheers Guys, thanks for the comments! user added image

Jr. Who: The scene is anti-aliased. Is it the ear your seeing the jagged edges on? I have a dissplacement map on the Moai and thats probably what's causing the jagged look. let me know where else in the scene you spy any other jagged edges. I only see it on the back of the ear so far. Big thanks for the comment and C&C BTW!user added image

# 28 30-10-2007 , 11:22 AM
Jr.Who
I see it mostly on the ear and grass.

# 29 30-10-2007 , 11:44 PM
19 year Veteran
Cheers Jr.Who!user added image I did a recomposite and the problem areas you spotted don't seem to be there anymore. Perhaps it was a jpeg artifact. Cant explain how the pic turned out that way. Anyway, I increased the detail just slightly on the second comp. You should be able to see the dissplacement better on this one, and no jaggies on the grass. I'm going to replace my current pic in the finnished section with this one.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by THX1138; 30-10-2007 at 11:55 PM.