Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 22-09-2007 , 06:29 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Yes i used the ocean shader

# 17 22-09-2007 , 12:39 PM
Subscriber
I reckon you could dirty up the ocean by making it like a brownish color, as thats might what would happen if there was a apocalypse i think? lol...

# 18 23-09-2007 , 06:44 PM
I started ruffing up the textures that i've painted, i'm still thinking on how i will fill the rest of the picture.
So until that time comes i will lay out the uv's and paint the textures of the things i did do.....

edit;
I will look into it marlon johnuser added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 19 24-09-2007 , 03:38 AM
I've experimented with paint fx for a couple of hours and this is the result.
I used a texture with an alpha to create the forrest on the backdrop, but i don't like it the visible part has some sort of silver lining which prevents the texture blending in with the background.
C and C is of course most welcomeuser added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 20 25-09-2007 , 04:59 PM
I've played with lighting and enabled shadows in the render and this is the result

Attached Thumbnails
# 21 25-09-2007 , 05:12 PM
Jr.Who
Looks good. Can you make the trees look older, though?
user added image

# 22 26-09-2007 , 11:58 AM
Once I worked in a similar project but was something like.. a post-apocalyptic frankfurt xDD. It was cool but didn't developed as well as I spected in the end.

# 23 26-09-2007 , 12:08 PM
@jr who; i'm not sure i get what you mean by making them older, so ellaborate a bit more on this if you want
@Legolas_hv;'Once I worked in a similar project but was something like.. a post-apocalyptic frankfurt xDD. It was cool but didn't developed as well as I spected in the end."
Is this a jab below the belt there mate? LOL

# 24 26-09-2007 , 12:48 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by mastone
@jr who; i'm not sure i get what you mean by making them older, so ellaborate a bit more on this if you want

Well, one thing you could do is make the leaves gray.

# 25 26-09-2007 , 01:15 PM
this was not a jab below the belt, I hope you have better luck than me.
Then I was far less experienced than now. And any of this kind is a lot of work I think. but anyway my work was not a single frame. It was a complete 3d intro. Thats your advantage user added image
bye

# 26 26-09-2007 , 01:32 PM
You could randomise the trees a bit colours size shape etc.

is it paint fx or fx converted to polys?

I once did a scene with a lot of trees in it and I converted the paint FX to polys (made about 4/5 trees differing styles, sizes, colours etc) as I wanted to render with mantal ray. then moved the pivots to the bottom of the trunks and then painted a few different particle sets, and attached the trees to the particles as instances and added a random Y rotation to them to vary them up a bit.

Also in the distance, I would just render a tree line/forrest as a single image and attach it to a plane with the alpha for transparancy, cut down on the strain on the system

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 27 26-09-2007 , 09:01 PM
coming along nicely mastone! user added image

definitely agree with gster that the trees need a bit more variation. Also I think that you need more buildings stretching out either side like in your photo - especially if this is supposed to be new york. I'm not sure about the teepee thing in the forground - it looks a little odd at the moment. user added image

keep up the good work - this is going to be very cool!

# 28 27-09-2007 , 08:51 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Mastone,

I would have used a projection Map for the buildings instead of uving them. Its a still image so look at it like a matte painting

Cheers
Jay

# 29 27-09-2007 , 11:28 AM
@jrwho; i will vary the size shape and colors of the trees, thanks
@Legolas_hv; I know you didn't mean that..hence the big LOL in the end:p
@gster123; they are paint fx converted to poly's and that's actually a great idea you had about using the instancer for creating the tree's so i will definitely give it a go
@arran;You're right about the amount of buildings and the trees.About the tipi, it isn't the new york you know anymore, it's also just a cone with a ramptexture slapped on it so if i decide to put a tipi there i will make it more realistic.
@jay; and i think i will follow up on your advice too. i hate laying out uv's so i will look on the internet for some matte painting tutorials-workflows(I'm not van Gogh so i need all the help i can get on painting LOL)

Thanks guys i really appreciate the input and/or complements, they are appreciateduser added image

# 30 03-10-2007 , 11:10 PM
Subscriber