Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 07-06-2004 , 01:09 PM

Making a model pass behind a pole

Hey guys!!

I shoot a video in front of my house looking at somthing passing by the sky, but there's a in a middle of teh shot a building. The model i want to render will be flying by and going behind the building.

I have a cube and the model in the maya scene the cube is place where the building is. Now i render the scene but i still see the cube and if i use layers (cube in one and ship in the other) it will render the ship without the effect behind the cube....

I hope some understand what im doing...user added image

For compositing I use After effects 6

Maybe im missing a simple step?

Any help will be appreciated!!!

If you can Imagine, Draw it, if you Draw it, Animate it, then it becomes a Masterpiece.....
# 2 07-06-2004 , 01:55 PM
assign a new lambert to the cube and then go to it's attributes and change it's opacity type to "Black Hole" then render them both on one layer.

The other more flexible option is to render the cube as a separate layer as you have done and then use it as a matte in after effects.

It's up to you really, if you're less experienced then go for the first option.

user added image
Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 08-06-2004 , 06:23 PM
hey pure thanks for the TIP!! hope youre doing fine...

BTW hows the AVP project, here will soon start thunderbirds!!!

If you can Imagine, Draw it, if you Draw it, Animate it, then it becomes a Masterpiece.....