Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 03-05-2005 , 06:14 PM
Subscriber

May/June - Noob - DanaScully

sadly i couldnt complete the last challenge because of finals and work....but most definately i will finish this one since I am on summer vacation
I will be going to school but only for 2 classes, 1 which is a storyboarding class and a math class so not much studying involved meaning ....MORE TIME FOR MAYA!
yaysies!!!
Anyway, I am going along the lines of a dolphin......might seem innocent and cute and.....oh they are adorable....but I am hoping to take this little creature to a different level.....let's just wait and see user added image
here is so far what I got done today.

Attached Thumbnails

# 2 03-05-2005 , 11:54 PM
Subscriber
dolphin's are cool. Good start

# 3 05-05-2005 , 08:26 AM
and easy for texturing user added image)
just making fun, sure looks great!!

# 4 05-05-2005 , 04:46 PM
Subscriber
well with the ideas that i have for this little dude....texturing might get more complicated than what i can hadle.

# 5 05-05-2005 , 06:50 PM
I know - organic models are allways too complicated for texturing! for me too it will be an experiment texturing my fish, I´m very scary of laying out the UVs. good luck with yours!

# 6 06-05-2005 , 06:36 AM
Subscriber
thanks dude, i wish you the same user added image
This is definately a fun project.

Funny story....i was yearning to find good reference pictures......although my air headedness contrbuted to me forgetting that my mom has an underwater theme in my bathroom (have a little sister lol) and we have dolphin shower curtains lol.
anyway hoping to post another pic later user added image

# 7 07-05-2005 , 12:09 AM
Subscriber
I'm sure google images has much on them. If your looking for good orthographic's I do have one I can email you. Its based on a nother model though. Better than none..

but then from your first post looked like you already had good ref..

# 8 07-05-2005 , 06:15 PM
Subscriber
yea the ref im using is another model.....found it on altavista.com
lol
the bad part is that they are not like evenly distanced so I have to play around with them so that things look proportionate.

# 9 08-05-2005 , 06:06 AM
Subscriber
well small update not much since this is the last weekend of freedom i have since i start school again on monday and tmorrow is mothers day.
BTW....was trying to play around with mental ray and I keep getting this error
'Error: (Mayatomr.Geometry) : polyToSubdShape1, non-quadrilateral face in subdivision surface base mesh not supported, ignored //
"
can any one help me with that. I trued to run the poly cleanup before turning into a subdiv....and thats what happens.

anyway here is the update.

Attached Thumbnails

# 10 09-05-2005 , 12:30 AM
Subscriber
MentalRay just spits none quad subD's back out. The work around is to Subdiv Surffaces > Collapse Hierarchy. It will make the mesh dencer. But will work in MR now. If buy some chance the new subD is to heavy on your render time you can tern down the Tessellation on your shape node. From like 4 to 3 or 2. Will put it ruffly at the same triangle count as befor the Collapse. You probably will want to have the option to work with it more so just undo back past the collapse hierarchy.