Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 16-04-2007 , 11:12 PM

CPU temperature

my CPU temp increases more than 70 degrees during rendering

user added image user added image

im little worried because it's normally at 55 degree

so i was wondering, whether it happens to any of you

i have a Intel P4 3GHz processor with hyper threading, and an Asrock 775VM800 motherboard

Maya is simple, but only if you believe it
# 2 17-04-2007 , 03:12 AM
Subscriber
nope rendering uses ur cpu so expect it to get hotter
ur cpu should have thermal throttling so if it gets to hot it shuts down

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 3 17-04-2007 , 02:29 PM
Subscriber
wow you have the same problem as me... normally my computer stays at 40-60degrees, though when i render or go to a gaming LAN it tends to go to 70-80degrees which then just freezes or turns off for a couple of hours user added image

i say get a new case like i will be doing in the next week... im going to try get internal water cooling case though they are abit on the expensive side but its what i need, soo yeah

my specs:

AMD Athlon 64Bit 3000+
ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 512Mb

# 4 17-04-2007 , 05:41 PM
Lifetime Member
I suffered with over heating for aabout a year on a previous pc and tried all sorts of solutions to cure the problem.
First off 70 degrees at rendering is not great but not unusual with a P4 which run hotter than Athlon in general(65 -70 would be about normal for 100% cpu usage).If you pc does not overheat and shut down like marlon said his does then it can probaly take it although anything you can do to decrease the temp would be good.
During my overheating period I changed my case twice,added casefans galore(12 in the end),my cpu fan a couple of times once to water cooled wich actually made no difference and my motherboard also.
The final solution was to buy a sever tower case (mine was and is a Coolermaster cmstacker) with loads of airflow room and the thing that made all the difference in the world a crossflow fan that blows air across the motherboard wich in turn helps the cpu fan with cool air.
My cpu temp almost halved with this solution.

# 5 18-04-2007 , 03:21 AM
Subscriber
yes marlonjohn that was probly the thermal throttling

i run a AMD athlon 3800+ dual core
it runs at 35 degC in normal use and max 55 degC in heavy rendering

i have a £10 case so dont worry about that
be clever where u put ur fans - i use the heatsink and cpu fan that came with the proccessor

have ur fans that are a the bottom of the case inserting air
at the top they should be extracting
hot air rises extracting it will cool down. as it is being extracted the cool air at the bottom will be drawn up (pressure diff) get warm then be extracted and it works a treat
i have 2 fans that is it

thats my opinion

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 6 20-04-2007 , 01:18 PM
Subscriber
"The final solution was to buy a sever tower case (mine was and is a Coolermaster cmstacker) with loads of airflow room and the thing that made all the difference in the world a crossflow fan that blows air across the motherboard wich in turn helps the cpu fan with cool air. My cpu temp almost halved with this solution."

hmm sounds interesting ... looks like i shall research about this more

yeah looks like it pbman :S

# 7 26-04-2007 , 12:25 AM
Subscriber
its all about air circulation , if you have a small fan in front u want a bigger one at the back and if possible at the side to chuck warm air out , blow holes are handy to , to reduce case temp and ultimately lower ur cpu temp a few degrees , also messy cables can restrict airflow flat stock cables are a big no no unless you spend time and thread em underneath your mobo tray ( if u have one ). ultimitly if all fails stick a zalman on it lol

i have a thermal take shark and a x2 4800 and never seen it get above 54c fully loaded

also small things like decent thermal compound etc etc

hope this is somewaht informative

by the way pentiums always run hot a friend of mine has exactly the same problem, ive had it and im pretty sure the majority of people with p4s have had it but thats why i stick with amd now cause there just better lol

Sicky

Last edited by Sicky; 26-04-2007 at 12:33 AM.