Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 05-08-2008 , 11:47 AM

Urgent! (image planes)

Well, I have just started with the tank challenge against Chirone, and ran in to a huge problem: When I have one image plane in the scene, the frame rate drops INSTANTLY to 2 FPS. Which makes it impossible to make anything. And the frame rate stays down even if the image plane is hidden.

Is there a way to still have reference images, but not use image planes? Or a way to make the image planes less power-hungry?

And my Mac isn't that bad hat it can't handle it: 1 gigabyte of memory and 733 MHz should be enough for image planes, right?

user added image

W.I.P's
-
Finished work
Mech
# 2 05-08-2008 , 12:06 PM
Subscriber
the only thing i can suggest is you make planes and give them the image as a texture like what Kurt does in his tutorials

i dunno if that would fix the situation though

it might be worth a try

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 05-08-2008 , 12:11 PM
Maybe its your GFX card?

I always use nurbs planes to add my images, you get much more control over scaling and positioning etc.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 4 05-08-2008 , 12:12 PM
Subscriber
i thought you get the same control over image planes as you do with actually using geometry, but you can't do it with the transform tools

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 5 05-08-2008 , 12:25 PM
how big is the image you're trying to use? and what kind of graphics card do you have? if it's like an old 32 meg card and you're using an image that's larger than like 5 megs then yea it's gonna chug.

Accept no substitutions.
# 6 05-08-2008 , 12:35 PM

Originally posted by Chirone
i thought you get the same control over image planes as you do with actually using geometry, but you can't do it with the transform tools

Their a lot easier to work with IMO, you can group scale move and position without fiddeling with settings, you can also add them to layers as to lock, or toggle visibility etc.

Yes you can do this with image palnes but not with the speed that you can using geo.

I only use image planes when matching to a background plate when I want to adjust the camera settings to match

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle