Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 07-01-2010 , 01:46 PM
Subscriber

Bug with extrude face

Hello,

Me again! I made two simple CV's, lofted, converted to polys then done a face extrude but im getting very odd shading as you can see, any ideas why?

Attached Images
# 2 07-01-2010 , 07:57 PM
I have seen this a lot. When I see it, I find the usual culprit is multiple shape nodes. If you go into hypergraph and expand all the nodes you will likely see multiple shape nodes.

I find there are several ways to correct this. Delete history, delete one of the extra node from the hyper graph, this often caused the part to lose its shader node input and the remaining piece disappears. Simply reattaching a shader fixes this.

As I recall exporting and importing also fixes the addition shape nodes. I am not sure what causes it or what the correct way to prevent or fix it is. I recall seeing it mentioned in a tutorial once and the author explained it. I believe the cause and fix had something to do with normals.

That is the best I can recall as it has been a long time since I last saw this problem.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 3 10-01-2010 , 06:36 PM
Technical Director
Under polygons, there is a tool menu. There should be one called "keep faces together". Make sure this is checked.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 4 11-01-2010 , 01:15 AM
Yeah, good point. I could not tell from the image if you were getting separated faces. Make sure keep faces together is checked is excellent advice. (smile)

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675