Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 06-01-2003 , 11:55 PM

just wanted to let everybody know my views on a gnomon video.

Yeah so im watching the intro to maya video right now, and im almost half way through it, and I am amazed at the progress im making! Im learning all the basics and alot of hotkeys. I think this video is really going to help me get a good foundation with maya that i can build up with :p :p . The way that it teaches you, is... hmm. lets say they were teaching you the alphabet user added image ... well first it will teach you what a is, then how to use it, why its there, and other ways to get you to a. nexed it will teach you all about b. and then combine a with b. then it will teach you c and add b and a to it. ect.. untill you learn all about the letters a through z and how to use them together to create.. err words? haha, excuse my cornyness.

so overall i would rate this gnomon video a 10 out of 10, and recomend it for all beginners who know nothing about maya. although the dvd is 40$(wich isnt thaaaat bad, its only 20$ for the vhs

:yipee:

edit: ahhh! i meant to put this into the Maya Basics & Newbie Forum! is there any way to move it there?

# 2 07-01-2003 , 12:58 AM
Subscriber
That's quite an inviting review. Has anyone else seen these here that can comment on them? I have looked at their website and considered getting that intro package.

I am just starting Maya Fundamentals and so far it's working out good for me. But I am always looking for more....

https://www.darrylworley.com/

https://www.defendamerica.mil/nmam.html
# 3 07-01-2003 , 06:08 AM
The Maya Mountain
It was just $40? Last I saw it was in the $60-75 range. lol

# 4 07-01-2003 , 07:16 AM
Subscriber
$40... is that $US?

Take a glance at my <a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9428"><b>Porsche 959</b></a> WIP
# 5 07-01-2003 , 03:25 PM
Subscriber
mtmckinley

Yes actually You will hate me when I tell you I have 21 of them I bought the vhs out of gnomon's bargin basement when they went to DVD and only paid $420. for all of them.user added image

Never Do Today What You Can Put Off Till Tomorrow..
My New Site MayaFx.com
# 6 07-01-2003 , 03:35 PM
Subscriber
lol

jesus loves you!
# 7 07-01-2003 , 03:42 PM
I've seen people selling used ones at highend.com for about $40. Isn't it kind of a pain in the butt to go back and forth between watching the VHS and working in Maya...lots of rewinding. Though, I suppose with today's tech, it'd be just as easy to capture it to avi or whatnot while working.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 8 07-01-2003 , 04:26 PM
Subscriber
No I actually capture these to my pc and convert them to DV then I can either watch on my pc or burn to dvd.

My New Site MayaFx.com
# 9 08-01-2003 , 12:43 AM
Kevin
dam I wish gnomon advertised us as much as we advertise them!

# 10 08-01-2003 , 01:19 AM
haha, geez. sorry if im putting your sight down or anything :o

But if it will make you feel any better, this is the best maya forum i have ever been to!

# 11 08-01-2003 , 01:51 AM
Subscriber
Sorry Kevin user added image
But I love this site TOO!user added image

My New Site MayaFx.com
# 12 08-01-2003 , 02:33 AM
No doubt. I practically live here.user added image

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 13 08-01-2003 , 09:21 AM
Kevin
lol, I was only kidding guys.... I done a quick search through the main database and the backed up one and found over 300 references to gnomon / buzz..

maybe I should start asking them for some dosh user added image - I guess thats why gnomon have a closed forum LOL - but then again when I search through buzz I find a lot on SM to user added image (now that is fine haha)

# 14 08-01-2003 , 10:53 AM
Gnomon has a closed and almost dead forum, which is kind of sad user added image I know 'cause I'm member there too. Then again, it's easier to catch up with only one forum user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 15 08-01-2003 , 11:14 AM
Kevin
yes its not so much a community forum but more of a "help" forum if you need help with any of the tutorials while you are a member.

This is what we are going to do with simplylightwave.

There are pros and cons of both really:

The bad part is that you have no community and dont meet up with to many people.

The good points is that posts there are strictly to do with the site and if someone requires help then the help would probably be easier to give as you have no large community to look after and maintain - also you could do lots more free videos as you are not using loads of bandwidth on a board.