Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 20-09-2003 , 07:02 PM

Importing PLE Scles into Maya Unlimited

Does anyone know of any way to transfere Maya Personal Learning Edition Scenes into Maya Unlimited.

I have a user that if he can not transfer his scenes into the Maya Unlimited,m he is going to purchase Max and start his work all over again...

Please Help.

# 2 20-09-2003 , 07:06 PM
Maya PLE scenes cannot be transferred into commercial versions of Maya.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 3 20-09-2003 , 07:12 PM
The Maya Mountain
If he can do the same thing in Max, then he doesn't need Unlimited, as Unlimited's exclusives are pretty much fluids, fur, etc. It wouldn't make sense for him to purchase a more expensive program to do the same thing as Complete can.

# 4 20-09-2003 , 08:49 PM
Thanks Dannyngan, shame, he has created a real nice anim, and I know that he was looking forward to coming here, but was unwilling if this was going to cause him problems with converting any of his stuff.

The problem is that we are a MAYA only site, and if he can not transfer his stuff to Maya for re-rendering soi that we can use it in our showreal, then he has already told us that he will not bother, shame really....

But you can understand it, I would not want to recreate something that took me months to do, and like he said, Max is cheaper, if he need to purchase the full version, as for your comments 'mtmckinley' point taken, but most of our work can ONLY be carried out on UNLIMITED, about 80% of our business is Fluids, Cloth, Dynamics.

Does anyone else think that this is a slight over-sight from Alias... I am a XSI Animator that converted over, and I have noticed one big thing, Alias do not listern to its clients like Avid do, and would have thought of this happening...

Chris

# 5 20-09-2003 , 09:11 PM
Subscriber
I'd render it in PLE if it had taken me 8 months, who gives a sh*t about a water mark when it's taken that long. Something weird goin on in that last post or i'm just not reading it right.

# 6 20-09-2003 , 09:15 PM

Originally posted by warthoggraphics
Thanks Dannyngan, shame, he has created a real nice anim, and I know that he was looking forward to coming here, but was unwilling if this was going to cause him problems with converting any of his stuff.

The problem is that we are a MAYA only site, and if he can not transfer his stuff to Maya for re-rendering soi that we can use it in our showreal, then he has already told us that he will not bother, shame really....

But you can understand it, I would not want to recreate something that took me months to do, and like he said, Max is cheaper, if he need to purchase the full version, as for your comments 'mtmckinley' point taken, but most of our work can ONLY be carried out on UNLIMITED, about 80% of our business is Fluids, Cloth, Dynamics.

Does anyone else think that this is a slight over-sight from Alias... I am a XSI Animator that converted over, and I have noticed one big thing, Alias do not listern to its clients like Avid do, and would have thought of this happening...

Chris

The PLE version of Maya is precisely meant for that. Learning.
It´s my firm believe that something that took him months to create might be easier the second time around, if he actually thought of it as a learning experience. If he created this animation to look for a job, then he probably shouldn´t have used the learning edition.

If he wants to go to Max, let him be. If he´s willing to devote the same resources he devoted to this animation, then he won´t have a problem recreating it in Max.

Do tell him on my behalf, that he should cut the crap though. Alias does not want him creating showreels -or demoreels for that matter- on PLE, as these reels clearly grant comercial oportunities for those who take chances with them. Maybe if he´s studying he could opt for a student package.

# 7 20-09-2003 , 09:21 PM
And on one more note, many companies are known to overlook the fact that it was done in PLE, as they are looking for skills, not the particular version it was made in. They have full versions, so they won´t have much trouble adapting the worker to their particular workflow.