Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 03-03-2007 , 10:44 PM

Controlling NURBS Surfaces....Help GREATLY appreciated!!!

I'm trying to smooth the surfaces for a head I'm making ("Making a Devil's Head with Artisan and Paint Effects" Chapter 3 of Maya Ultimate Workshop, in case you were curious!). My problem is molding the head...I've used the Sculpt Geometry Tool and have thoroughly messed it up (there are horizontal dents in the ears, and the head's top lip looks like it was pushed up it's nostril, and somehow the back of the head now has horizontal dents in it (and I wasn't even trying to mold that part!).

I may have added too many isoparms, but when I went back to delete the first one, it immediately made my head look all kinds of crazy! Unfortunately, the book hasn't discussed what to do when somethin' like that happens yet.

Can someone throw me a bone please? I'm feeling a bit frustrated, and I would really appreciate the help!

# 2 03-03-2007 , 11:10 PM
can u post a snapshot of your model with wireframes showing?

Majix
# 3 04-03-2007 , 12:07 AM

Picture of Devil Head

Sure...here it is...see how the lines formed around the head? And look at the nose...looks like the lip got pushed up inside...plus I tried to create the ear....but it looks chewed up.

What do you suggest?

Attached Images
File Type: bmp devil head snapshot smaller.bmp (159.3 KB, 149 views)
# 4 04-03-2007 , 05:53 AM
for the file size that's a really small pic of what's going on... i can't even make out what the problems are... although from reading your problem i'd have to say that while you're sculpting you've gotta make sure you embrace undo as an essential option... set it to unlimited in the options, save every time you do something you're happy with, and make sure to save incrementally (if you save to face.mb and are happy with it, your next save should be to face01.mb... that way you know you didn't erase the positive progess you've made so far).

Accept no substitutions.
# 5 04-03-2007 , 10:39 AM

About my Devil Head

I agree Neo...save often and with many file names. And I tried to save it as a regular sized picture, but it wouldn't let me...says my file size was too big.

Any suggestions on that people?

I guess my thing is I have no idea how to fix the mess I've started....I don't know how to pull those lines out of the back of the head and smooth them out....I don't know how to make that ear look right....I'm just not having much luck with this Sculpt Geometry Tool and I'm wondering if there's an easier way to fix some of this or if I'm using the tool wrong.

What does everyone think?