Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 22-12-2002 , 02:14 AM

Picking a V-Card between 2 cards (need help)

Ok I have the choice and need some help picking between a Ati FireGL 8800 or a MSI GeforceTI 4600. I dont play any video games except warcraft 3 which I haven't played ever since I loaded in XP Pro because, can't find a driver that seems to work with the crappy g-force 2 card I have now for war3. It worked fine when I was running on win2k. Any suggestions or guidance would be helpful.

Kurt

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 2 22-12-2002 , 03:56 PM
SM Alumni
just one quote from the maya list serv that references ATI firegl cards and theyre unstable maya performance (and there have been plenty over the past months):
"I haven't had any issues as of yet with slow downs or actual crashes (save for the usual FireGL 8800 crashes) and that's with about 2GB of RAM in this box."
Nvidia have solid opengl drivers (30.82 detonators in particular), and whilst certain operations with the 8800 might be marginally quicker, stability does appear suffer using it.

# 3 22-12-2002 , 04:37 PM
I use an MSI ti4200 128 in my box and it works great with maya...no problems whatsoever.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 4 22-12-2002 , 05:23 PM
Thanks guys, keep them comming have to decide soon=)

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 5 22-12-2002 , 11:12 PM
I have an eVga Ti 4600 and it works great. Other than my strange mouse problem, which has nothing to do with the video card, I have had no trouble at all.

------
AlphaJoe
# 6 24-12-2002 , 01:43 AM
go MSI.....nice card user added image

I have the MSI ti4400....and it's sweet :banana: