Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 25-08-2016 , 06:04 PM

Shimmering Black Parts On Model After Importing From SketchUp

Hello everyone user added image

I've got a problem! user added image

The other day I built a model in SketchUp and exported it as an .fbx file and then imported it into Maya 2016. And it was fine, no problems at all.

But today I've redesigned it a bit with a new SketchUp project and done a new and improved one. I exported it from SketchUp like I did before with my previous one and imported it into Maya but this time the mesh has black bits on it which shimmer when you tumble the camera around.

Anyone got any idea what I've done wrong..? user added image user added image

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Here's what I'm seeing:

user added image

Last edited by Harv1971; 25-08-2016 at 06:06 PM.
# 2 26-08-2016 , 08:02 AM
Lifetime Member
It looks like you have two objects on top of each other. As soon as you tumble the view you are seeing the faces of the different objects flickering through.

Have you applied any shaders yet?

# 3 27-08-2016 , 06:55 AM
Technical Director
This could be a case of z-fighting, where the program gets confused on which order to render each face. Try opening up your camera's attributes and adjust the near clipping plane. Set it to 1 or something and see if it goes away. If your object disappears, try lowering the number.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.