Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 23-09-2012 , 05:56 AM

Point Stars with Space Paint Effect?

Such a simple question yet I cannot find the answer anywhere. Is there a simple way to add points like the ones created by camera lenses to the space paint effects brush?

user added image

Last edited by Overbound; 23-09-2012 at 06:00 PM.
# 2 23-09-2012 , 02:48 PM
The thin red line
There is one in the visor that does this.................dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 3 23-09-2012 , 05:18 PM
That's exactly the brush I'm trying to use. In your picture the stars that are closer are pretty round. I can't find an option within the "space" paint effect to make them pointed.

# 4 23-09-2012 , 06:05 PM
EduSciVis-er
I think you should try looking at lens flares instead of trying to generate them using the paint fx. In fact they're probably best done in post. Just an idea.

# 5 23-09-2012 , 06:19 PM
Super Moderator
You can use Maya optical FX but they're attached to lights and you'll have to use the software renderer because Mental Ray does not support them. Creating it is easy enough, just expand the "light effects" section of the light's attributes and map the "light glow" attribute and then tweak until you're happy with it. I have to agree with Stwert and suggest you do it in post though.

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny