Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 22-09-2004 , 05:12 AM

Cel shaded storytelling (HEAVY ON IMAGES)

Been playing with a new style in my free time to bring a story very close to my heart to life.
Here's Some Stuff I have so Far.

Girl inside of Cliff Face Set
user added image

Spider Character with a trapped stuffed dino
user added image
user added image
Oohpz Char.
user added image

Last edited by Megaman; 22-09-2004 at 05:21 AM.
# 2 22-09-2004 , 05:14 AM
Female Lead (still working on her)
user added image
user added image
user added image

Last edited by Megaman; 22-09-2004 at 05:16 AM.
# 3 22-09-2004 , 05:15 AM
# 4 22-09-2004 , 06:27 AM
Subscriber
Cool, looking nice there Megaman. Really like the female lead character. Possibly make her eyes a bit darker or more contrasty as they are a bit hard to see.

Good stuff thou, keep it coming.

# 5 22-09-2004 , 10:32 AM
Subscriber
Oh this is nice.. for cell this is great.. I could have a lot of opinion about it to.. LOL.. the little meen critters are great.. just as they are..

I WANT to see animation of her..

her iris and puple need to be bigger if you ask me.. the colors could use a little tuch hear and there.. but, maybe she's a tade on the rag side for me.. nice shap over all though really.

# 6 22-09-2004 , 02:51 PM
Very cool work!!! I like the style the girl is done in, good job. Looking forward to seeing this progress. user added image

# 7 22-09-2004 , 03:12 PM
The Maya Mountain
neat stuff! user added image:tup:

# 8 22-09-2004 , 04:07 PM
Your color scheme is very solid. Great stuff!!

Dave

# 9 22-09-2004 , 09:49 PM
Thats fricken awsome!!

How did you get it to look like that?

# 10 23-09-2004 , 03:25 AM

# 11 23-09-2004 , 03:45 AM
did you use maya vector?

# 12 23-09-2004 , 04:20 AM
No, this isn't maya vector.
I tried maya vector awhile back but it didn't work right for the look I was going for, so I had to make my own cel shader.

# 13 23-09-2004 , 05:18 AM
how did you make it?

# 14 23-09-2004 , 06:20 AM
Thanks for the good comments.
The eyes aren't done exactly yet.
Its a mix of clamps and some seriously aggravating mel scripting.
I also have to build the geometry in a different way than normal (for me anyhow, see below).

user added image user added image

Also the Eyes and Hair textures are just placeholders till I finish up with the shader nextwork. The speculars will be similar to these 2 earlier models posted below depending on how I play with em.
She will have no pupils. Part of my design theme and storyline involves the deliberate elimination of a pupil. Since eyes are "windows" to the soul I have left the focal parts of the window barred, mostly to try and show that perhaps the world that the characters are in may be more closely related to the "inner" being than whats obvious. Of course, I really don't expect for anyone to pick up on that too much but I'm working on this b/c I've always wanted to bring this story of mine to life even if no one understands it. I'd also rather that people walk away from it drawing their own interpretations and maybe hitting on some of the themes or finding something inside of it that may touch them in some way, be it positive or negative. I guess thats part of making dreams come true. =)

But thanks for the honest comments on the eyes. I appreciate the feedback.
user added image user added image

In order to get the Cel shader to Read the contours right I have to Actually overmodel the geometry a bit like below. Of course, due to the fact that the modeling is done in this manner it creates its own kind of dilemma when it comes to getting that 12 fps animation feel.And as you can see in the model of Kenshin's head, the specular cel shade is actually light controlled instead of modeled geometry like the one on the little boy above.
user added image

Last edited by Megaman; 23-09-2004 at 06:41 AM.
# 15 23-09-2004 , 06:46 AM
Below are some of the quick n' dirty concepts for the girl's head (which isn't quite done yet, I wil have to add some more geometry to help the mouth bend a bit better, but I'm shooting for expression similar to this). Also I put up a render of the dino without the spider attached to it to compare to the concept sketch. Also, the next character on my todo list is here as well.

user added image user added image user added image user added image