Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 02-12-2002 , 12:45 AM

hi! maya newbie here :-) (max user for 4 yrs help on clearing things up)

hey!!!!! im new here :-)

ive been playing w maya for sometime now...i made a teddy bear..put fur on him...skinned him(mayas skinning sucks for me...or i havent seen the more fancy stuff)...heres one of my probs :-)...the bones act weird for me..the swivel angle(twist)seems erratic......and! in max...bones are the ones in between the joins...in maya..its the joints that define a bone....weird...can somebody explian this to me? or point to a cool tut on bones :-) thanks!!!!!

done flame me....im new here :-) flame me when im a regular here :-)

:-)
# 2 02-12-2002 , 01:24 AM
If you can post up a picture, but it seems that you just have to set prefered angles on some of your joints. I'll be able to help ya out more once I see a picture.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 3 02-12-2002 , 03:14 AM
Subscriber
Welcome to Simply Maya, pitbull. Enjoy the site.

# 4 02-12-2002 , 03:14 AM
The Maya Mountain
I'm planning on a character rigging vid in the future... hopefully it'll help out some.

# 5 02-12-2002 , 06:54 AM
thanks for the replies and enthusiasm :-)

its just that when i woved the helper(ikhandle)the arm just bloody twisted :-(..... this does happen in max too,but not like the ones i get in maya.....how do i set the pref angle? i have been looking for this feature for a long time....i suppose its in the att editor? thanks :-)

# 6 02-12-2002 , 07:21 AM
The Maya Mountain
Try freezing your skeleton's transformations and then applying it.

# 7 02-12-2002 , 09:13 AM
Kevin
welcome to the best maya site on the net pitbull!

# 8 03-12-2002 , 02:46 AM
mckinley: uhm...how do i freeze it? sorry newbie here :-(

kevin: thanks!!!! im so happy to see that people here are polite :-) and i still dont see the usual annoying impolite newbie w a bad mouth and the know it all attitude :-) cheers!

# 9 03-12-2002 , 03:42 AM
The Maya Mountain
Select your root joint or at least the top of the hierarchy of joints that you're having difficult with (ie. shoulder to select entire arm or hip to select entire leg) and Edit > Freeze Transformations.

Then apply an IK hanel. This usually works for me when the IK twists the skeleton up like you described.

# 10 03-12-2002 , 09:05 PM
Hehe....another Max user converted user added image ....Welcome to Simply Mayauser added image

# 11 03-12-2002 , 09:35 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Saiyan
Hehe....another Max user converted user added image ....Welcome to Simply Mayauser added image

At this rate we will rulle the world HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA AAAAHHHHAHAHAHAHA AAAAAAAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA....<cough> <cough> ..hmmm

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 12 04-12-2002 , 04:52 AM
not really a full convert :-) i just want to have 2 softwares up my sleeve...there are still things i find indispensible in max :-) like the workflow and the robustness....etc...many would not agree w me but max's workflow is the best for me :-) but maya still rocks :-)

# 13 04-12-2002 , 05:25 AM
The Maya Mountain
to each his own. user added image