Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 19-05-2007 , 07:57 AM

Revolver

I started work on a revolver that will be fun to animate later on! Im actually going to attempt to go slow with this one. Heres what I did yesterday.
Crits and comments are very welcome because I want this to be beutiful.
user added image
user added image

Yay, not a freshman anymore!

Last edited by kinddoggofwar; 19-05-2007 at 09:03 AM.
# 2 19-05-2007 , 09:34 AM
Lifetime Member
Hmm...i am wondering why you seem to have modelled this without regard of keeping the mesh formed from quads.This could cause you problems if you plan to smooth it and /or animate it later.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 3 19-05-2007 , 09:56 AM
Mesh formed from quads? I never heard of that!?

# 4 19-05-2007 , 01:00 PM
Acid44
the mesh is generally easier to work with if at least most of the faces are 4 sided... good start btwuser added image

# 5 19-05-2007 , 01:26 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Mesh formed from quads? I never heard of that!?

Holy cow!! Back to basics for you young one!!

Quads are four sided polys, the most prefered type of polygon in ANY mesh they give for better deformation and rendering, though tris (triangles) are more common in game work, these can be used on hi res models but if using on hi res characters be careful of placement around areas such as arms shoulders etc
5 sided polys are acceptable but only when used carefully and very rarely. Anything above is basically a NO NO.

Have a browse in the Topology thread, there are example of polys etc that Ive done for the lesser experienced guys n gals

Chers
Jay

# 6 19-05-2007 , 03:56 PM
Subscriber
but all except the handle looks smooth, so why not.

# 7 20-05-2007 , 03:49 AM
Oh yeah, I get it now! Luckily as Badg3r said, I dont have to smooth much right now, but I will soon and its already caused a problem with the.. uhh, place were you put your fingers!? its pictured in here. Ive still got work to do on the handle area but still I need help. Thanks for the comments!
For some reason I cant render right now, i just get a black screen!? So until that gets worked out (dont know how) ill just print screen the maya page.
user added image

Last edited by kinddoggofwar; 20-05-2007 at 08:18 AM.
# 8 21-05-2007 , 02:08 AM
Heres an update. I still cant render my scene, it just comes up as black, pure black, and in the matter of seconds too. Please help, i want to tweak this, then animate it /w matrix bullets (I found a tut that shows how!!, itll be cool!)
user added image

# 9 21-05-2007 , 06:28 AM
hey i think you have spyware.....anyway what renderer are you using mr (mental ray) or ms (maya software)?. also do you have any lights in you scene? do you get an error when rendering? lastly i will not advise smoothing cause since youve used booleans for some parts of the model if you smooth it will just ruin it. Lastly (heh i said lastly again) i advise that you delete your history before you render.

# 10 21-05-2007 , 08:57 AM
Subscriber
Maybe it's maya's way of punishing you for not using quads user added image
This is looking good atm. Are you using blueprints for it?

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 11 22-05-2007 , 02:53 AM
I deleted the history, and followed what you reccomended to do, but it still didnt work. After about 30min of messing with the renderer again, i found out that its only rendering selected Objects. How do I make it render the whole scene instead of only selected objects?
Its not my fault I didnt use quads, I didnt even know what that ment! (im still a little sketchy) :/ . I am using reference photos of a .38 special, but im making it a uniqe revolver, not a .38. This revolver im making has only a 5 shot clip/revolving thing, and is a bit bigger all around, longer barrel, bigger revolving thing, everything else is fairly accurate. I just cant figure out how to get a nice metal shader... Does anyone have suggestions?
Thanks for the comments!!

# 12 22-05-2007 , 09:10 PM
For nice surfaces especially things like metal water ect. having a high poly count will allow you to get the varience you need at the moment the way you gun is esablished maya will not render the metal acuratly no matter how good the set up. Things are calculated from per poly basis so one poly means one calculation. Smooth before you render and youll be able to see a big difernce in image quality. That does mean fixing the trilliongon you made, I wouldn't want to do that. Good Luck.

# 13 23-05-2007 , 12:04 PM
How do I fix something like that? Im very new to this whole Boolean stuff...

# 14 23-05-2007 , 12:59 PM
You could try sofening the normals to get it looking smoother.

Post a render of the gun, just to see how it looks, if its smooth enought you might get away with it, also bevel some of the sharp edges

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 15 23-05-2007 , 02:11 PM
Im sorry but I am still a noob to maya, I dont yet know what Softening the normals are eitheruser added image
Heres a render of the revolver. The only part pretty much im unsatisfied with is the body itself, way to blocky. Ive never used the bevel tool so ill learn how to do that today!
user added image
Ive also started a Derenger model without using booleans (well in very small doses on objects i dont have to smooth).