Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 08-03-2004 , 04:48 AM
Subscriber

Hours of Work

Hey there

How many hours do you guys in the industry work a week? I'm so worried that I won't have time for a family, My fiance is really worried and I don't want to neglect family for a career that is just nonsense

# 2 08-03-2004 , 11:03 AM
When I was working at a studio, I averaged about 50 hours per week. That would fluctuate depending on how close we were to deadlines. I'm doing freelance now and my work week can be anywhere from 20 hours per week to 70 hours per week.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 3 08-03-2004 , 12:14 PM
Subscriber
The grim reality is that any career that you want to succeed in will require you to put in lots of hours. I dont work in CG but over the last 7 years have averaging 11-12 hours a day.

As a result, I've been very successful, travelled an enormous amount and can now afford to take long periods of time off in which I devote myself to my family and friends.

I cannot stress enough the importance of a satisfying and rewarding career to your family life. If you hate your job, your home life will suffer horribly. If you love your job, even though you may be tired at the end of a day, your family will feel it because you'll probably have a smile on your face. Also, I believe that There's no better role model for a child than to see his/her parents working hard and succeedingl in something they love and care about.

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 4 08-03-2004 , 03:53 PM
I freelance from home right now as well and the hours fluctuate, depending how many contracts are going up at once. My wife is the most important thing in my world and I make sure I spend time with her as I can.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 5 08-03-2004 , 04:56 PM
I average between 50 and 60 a week.

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 6 08-03-2004 , 07:10 PM
SM Tea Boy
About 70 hours a week i would say although I'm in a different industry. I eat sleep and work I try and get out for a few pints once a week whenever I've got some spare cash.

I couldn't do my job well and still have time for other people, although I expect it to calm down a bit in a year or so.

David user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 7 08-03-2004 , 11:29 PM
Subscriber
So dave what area of CG are you in?

# 8 09-03-2004 , 01:41 AM
Subscriber
I don't think David is into CG really. That's why he said he was in a different industry. lol user added image

He's probably talking about managing servers for Kevin. *sees Kevin crack the whip at David...lol j/k*

# 9 09-03-2004 , 03:47 AM
Subscriber
Oh ok, my baduser added image

So it seems that CG really is like other careers pretty much,

Very cool

Thanks