Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 06-11-2004 , 04:09 PM
Subscriber

Spline IK and clusters

OK,

I'm really having a problem with Spline IK on my character for the spine. I just don't know how to fix the problem and I'm going nuts not knowing how to do this. I think I've exhausted about every avenue and still have no clue as to how to get the clusters and spline IK curve to move with my skeleton.
Here's what I've done so far:

1. Created the spline IK running from the top back joint down to the root joint.
2. Created clusters for each of the points on the spline curve.
3. Then I parented the spline curve GRP node to the Root control node.
4. I made an upBack controller and parented the top 3 clusters to this.
5. Made a lowBack controller and parented the bottom clusters to this.
6. Made a Main controller for the rig to move it around and parented the other controllers to this.

Problem is, when I move the Main Cntrl, the clusters get left behind and I get a double transformation going on I think. The spline curve is also moving but not with the body. I can't get the clusters or spline IK curve to move with the body. All I need to be able to do is to move the Main Control and have the spline IK and clusters move with it.

Can someone please help me with this problem. I just don't know how to do this.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 06-11-2004 , 04:32 PM
Subscriber

spline IK on spine

Here is another pic of what I've done.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 07-11-2004 , 04:03 AM
This is hard set up to troubleshot without seeing it in maya, but I'm going to guess your problems are because you parented your spline IK to the root node. Try un-parenting your spline curve as this doesn't want to be in the same hirachy as the controls.

Richard

----------------------------------------------
Richard Cheek
https://www.freelance-animation.com
# 4 07-11-2004 , 01:07 PM
Subscriber

Spline IK

Richard,

Thanks for your input. I tried it this way - I parented the spline curve to the Main Ctrl. I didn't make a cluster from the last point on the spline curve, so I did this and also parented this to the lower back controller. This appeared to work but then I had the whole of the bottom part of the spine rotating including the root node. I'm not sure if this is technically or anatomically correct. So to stop the root node from rotating aswell, I made a locator and constrained the bottom cluster to the locator which seems to lock the root node in place. See pic attached with character moved forward. Fingers crossed but I think everything is moving ok.

BTW, I looked at your website and thought your work was fantastic. Those girl animations were brilliant. How did you get her hair to flow in that way? Did you use 3DS Max for your work?

Mei-Yeung

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 09-11-2004 , 06:56 PM
I'm glad you got it working. The IK spine can be tricky to learn although it's got a lot easier with the new Advanced Twist Controls.

The hair on my web page was done with maya 6's new dynamic hair. I'm still improving that charcter and just got the hair to look a lot better. Hopfully I'll be ready to do another animation test in a week or so.

Thanks,

Richard

Richard Cheek
https://www.freelance-animation.com