Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 11-07-2006 , 11:27 PM

Quick Question thread

ok since im getting alot of these im goin to make a thread, where u ask a question, just post any quick question u have, this should prevent many how do i do ______ topics that could be answered with one reply...

ok so here is my first one...

can i open more than one maya file at a time? it getting annoying have to close them in between

# 2 12-07-2006 , 12:06 AM
Subscriber
just type "how to _____ " in the maya help docs.

u get definitions and tutorials all at once.

and u can have any number of instances of maya opened at a time, just like all other programs.

# 3 12-07-2006 , 12:17 AM
as soon as i go to new it closes the old

# 4 12-07-2006 , 12:20 AM
also is there a way to hide half an object while imm editing the other half becuase i keep in selecting through

# 5 12-07-2006 , 12:57 AM

Originally posted by Furry Fury
also is there a way to hide half an object while imm editing the other half becuase i keep in selecting through

Well, basically what I do is select all the vertices on half the model and delete them...then you can model just half the object and in the end duplicate the other side.

Or better yet after you delete half the vertices, select the other half, go to edit>duplicate box, then make an instance with the scale set to negative x (y or or z, whatever the plane you are duplicating across). This way now whenever you select a vertice on half the model it selects the same one on the other half and kills half the work.

As for selecting through, you can fix this by going to display>custom polygon display box, then turn objects affected to all, and back face culling on, hit apply and close. Now only the vertices and faces that are towards the camera will be visible and selected.

# 6 12-07-2006 , 02:08 AM
assuming the object isn't symetical,

i cant delted one side, as i need to edit that side too, u just want to temperally hide it, like it would if u want using x-ray mode except not only i cant see them but cant touch them either

# 7 12-07-2006 , 07:03 AM
Put the half you dont want to edit into a new layer, then turn the layer visability off.

As for the multiple file openings, open the maya program again so you have Maya running twice then you can have too files open at once. I think thats what vlad was talking about when he said multiple instances of a program.

# 8 12-07-2006 , 04:58 PM
ok, i got another window open, so how do i get the animation menu at the bottom, mine not there...

# 9 12-07-2006 , 05:21 PM
Subscriber
Furry Fury:

you are not the first new person to maya to browse these forums, so the questions you are asking have been asked lots and lots of times.
use the search button, or press F1 in maya and type "timeline" it will show you how to toggle it on/off
the docs can also give quick nswer instead of waiting for someone to answer you on the forums and spamming the boards with questions that have been asked a million times.

press Ctrl+space bar to show all UI on/off

# 10 12-07-2006 , 08:51 PM
yes, i would have to agree i am new to maya, i am also sure that these questions have been asked a lot of time, i am also sure that if i have a know of a common problem and u know that answer u can post it in the "FAQ thread" and also since i have been working with computers since i was three i know about the F1 button,

let lets talk about what u should know, u should know that i beciase i am new to maya i do not know the terminology of maya and that without that the F1 help section is pretty useless if u dont know exactly what you looking for, u should also be aware that i dont just post a question i have without looking for an answer myself first,

if you feel that this is a common question and should not be asked over and over then post it in the FAQ, if there are not common question then i dont see why there is a problem,

another thing you should know is that I created a new thread that users can post any quick question that is not on the FAQ thread

here is stuff you shouldnt assume, u shouldnt assume that just because we are new to this forums that this is our first forum, u shouldnt assume that we did not try to find out the answer ourselfs, and u shouldnt assume that the answer u give will always work.

# 11 12-07-2006 , 09:17 PM
I sort of agree with you there, If you look hard enough though and think outside the box. then again I know how you might be trying to do something that might be overlooked, that seems simple but in reality isnt.

One thing that I find is that you can give the same info, over and over with no response as to if it works or not so the info that we give out just seems to go nowhere (in the way that theres no feedback if it works at all).....

# 12 12-07-2006 , 10:30 PM

Originally posted by gster123
Put the half you dont want to edit into a new layer, then turn the layer visability off.

As for the multiple file openings, open the maya program again so you have Maya running twice then you can have too files open at once. I think thats what vlad was talking about when he said multiple instances of a program.

i cant put half an object in a layer, i can put a whole in in but unless i seperate the object i cant layer it
but backfacing does seem to work...