Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 09-03-2006 , 10:19 PM

Specialty 3d Modeling Apps

Hey everyone, I was wondering if any of you ever heard that modeling in a huge general 3d prog is a whole lot harder then in a small, specialty, and cheap app?

I just dl'ed Silo 3d, and I have to say, modeling in that is a complete breeze. It is like... wow fast.

Its kinda like an XSI on steroids. WEell, anyway, I just wanted to seewhat ya'll think as weel.

cya later,
Matt

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 2 10-03-2006 , 04:55 AM
Subscriber
Maybe you should do a review and post some pictures, share the joy and others might be tempted.

But if you ask me, it might be harder on the general 3D application, buts its the technique thats important, the tools will not really matter when you have the knowledge,, although i must agree that some tools really make the work easier. Its a balance if you ask me.

I like Zbrush, but have not used that since like the begining of my course months ago. But when i used it, it was so fast and so free.

I would highly recomend that... Maybe i should go and buy one for myself.

Oh ya anyone knows any good links to purchasing software at bargain prices?

I have heard of some, but fear grips me from clicking the button. How are guys doing it? Anyway when is the next Zbrush coming out. I am waiting for it, so that i can buy a new version instead of the current one.

user added image
Kumar

# 3 10-03-2006 , 01:29 PM
At least Silo UI is super customizable- especially the UI

Maya Silo UI

user added image

base interface
user added image

well thats all I found

l8er
Matt
user added image

# 4 10-03-2006 , 08:15 PM
looks good!!

Sorry for being a bit daft but what were the screen shots??

Maya with a silo plug in and a view of silo's interface??

My two cents are

I've got a feeling that spersific modeling apps will be better, so will the rendering, texturing, animation etc, as they should be since thats what their made for, but what is used to put it all together in one 3D app?

Therefore, unless your a studio with lots of cash why not buy a proven 3D app that can do everything rarther than buy multiple apps that, if they go wrong you need to spend lots of time trying to get it right.

Think thats why Maya's so much as a standard, as, with great programmers you can have app's that do exactle what yoiu want with one software.

# 5 10-03-2006 , 10:21 PM
I agree. Silo is pretty cool. I downloaded the 30 day demo and I gotta say for $109 why wouldn't you buy it? For people who want to learn how to model but don't want to or can't afford to buy a complete package like Maya, Silo is perfect.

The 'tweak' mode is fast.

Don't know if I will purchase it once the 30 days are up, but its cost vs function is staggering.

Dave

# 6 11-03-2006 , 09:40 AM
Subscriber
Silo is a really good deal for the money, but personally I didn't like it. Nothing wrong with the software - it just didn't fit in with my way of working.

As a general modelling app, I think Modo is the best there is. The interface is so configurable it's hard to believe, and some of the tools are really powerful. My experience is that it makes modelling a lot easier (and this coming from somebody who freely admits he cannot model to save his life!).

It's not exactly cheap (unlike Silo), but having used both, I just prefer the way of working in Modo (and it plays well with Maya too!)

Version 2 is due out soon, also featuring 3D painting and what looks to be a super fast renderer.

Anyway, here's a couple of renders of my first Modo model (still to be completed, as I'm waiting for the 3D paint tools and renderer in Modo 201). These pics were rendered with FPrime running under Lightwave, in order to cut down on the time I had to wait for them (by about a factor of 3 over the default Lightwave renderer - god knows how long this would have taken using Mental Ray).

user added image
user added image
user added image

Cheers,
Malcolm

'England Expects That Every Man Will Do His Duty' - Vice-Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson - Battle of Trafalgar - 21st October 1805
# 7 11-03-2006 , 03:16 PM
Of course, a dedicated aplication must be better than a complete package, like Maya. After all, programers can concentrate in make just a specific part of the proccess, and the program will be focused just in that too. What software a person will use depends on the destination that person has in mind. I became curious, and downloaded Silo, to see how it works, and yes, it's wonderfully easy to use, and has all tools Maya has, plus a couple more. It's a great alternative, if you want just do models. But what about rigging, animation, texturing, rendering? The greatest advantage here is the price. Silo is really cheap. But I believe ZBrush, altough a little more expensive, is more useful as it allows you to do entire scenes with a considerable quality.
And what about Wings3D? Has anybody here tried? It's free.

# 8 12-03-2006 , 11:31 AM
Yes silo is awesome... perhaps the pipeline of the future..

Silo - > Z- Brush -> [Dedicated animation app + Renderer] :attn:

# 9 13-03-2006 , 06:40 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Maya + Silo = Milo !!I'll have to patent that.

Try Wings 3d too. Thats free and a kick ass bit of kit, and easy to use, its based on Mirai software a la Bay Raitt (Gollum Modeler Extraordinaire)

Cheers
Jay

# 10 14-03-2006 , 02:02 PM
Subscriber
Well i have to second the Wings 3D stuff... Its free and i have one for the mac... i got it when i saw the modelling demos and since then have not used it...:p :p :p

No time,,,, no excuse i should say.

# 11 14-03-2006 , 02:12 PM
Vue + Maya + Zbrush2 is what im currently using.

I seem to be using alot more Vue at the moment its one awesome program.

user added image

# 12 14-03-2006 , 11:56 PM
Technical Director
I use maya for all my modeling. But since I dont have it on my laptop, I use wings. Its very frustrating at times but at least its 3d.

I have tried Zbrush and didn't really like the "original interface". Im waiting for mudbox to come out, hopefully soon. I havn't tried silo, but hexagon looks cool.

Nothing can touch maya, I find, in modeling.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 13 15-03-2006 , 09:43 AM
NextDesign: Agreed, although Maya and 'Z' are the perfect weapon combined!!

Kind regards

Jay

# 14 18-03-2006 , 02:17 PM
Yeah, I guess, Maya is the best, but it is fun 2 experiment w/ different 3d apps too! :p

# 15 18-03-2006 , 04:25 PM
Absolutley, I like the look of Silo especially the topology brush, man if Maya had that...

Jay